2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

Nah, that only tells you what the temp sensor THINKS the real temp is. It is exactly the same reading that the gauge in the dash will tell you.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
4angrybadgers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. I suppose it's more accurate to say that the R920's digital readout is a more precise representation of the sensor than the analog gauge, not necessarily representative of the actual temperature.

OK, I'll quit this threadjack and start my own thread if I still have issues later.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
first_dodge_pickup

I have a 2002 1500 with the gas 5.9L. Is the plenum issue still there for my truck? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by first_dodge_pickup
I have a 2002 1500 with the gas 5.9L. Is the plenum issue still there for my truck? Any input would be appreciated.
The issue is there for every Magnum engine Dodge ever produced. It's just the nature of the beast.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM
4angrybadgers

Just wanted to mention that my burping issues after the plenum/water pump/timing repair were my own stupid fault - I had put the thermostat in backwards. DERP. Last night I flipped it the right way and burped the coolant system again, and everything works fine.

After all that maintenance, my 360 definitely runs quieter, and it feels smoother as well.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nereaga
Ebay Plate Received!!!

Who has an extra afternoon to come help me?!?!? I will feed you and beer is a must have! Anyone close by? lol
Just a quick hint, when you go to tear everything apart you don't have to remove the alternator and A/C compressor from the accessory bracket, you can take it off all as one piece and zip tie it to the passenger side, I used the hood hing.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:48 AM
JOSV650S

Hmmm I'm thinking I'm going to need to do mine 99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.2L. I've been getting random misfires for months...CEL will come on for a week, then go way. Uses oil but no smoke out the tail pipe, feels down on power; especially when I really put my foot into it.

Sure looks like a blown plenum to me...have no idea when the PCV valve was done last, but I'm thinking that looks like too much oil to be PCV valve related. I opened up the butterflies on the TB and snapped a couple pics.

Name:  P2161305.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  77.5 KB
Name:  P2161304.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  56.9 KB

Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 AM
i mow grass
Professional

Well finally got around to doing the plenum gasket, only broke off two bolts (front and rear passenger side). Was just wondering what tips yall had for me on removing them. Also what is the best way to remove/clean all the left over fiber-rubber gasket off the kegger without damaging or knicking it up.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JOSV650S
Hmmm I'm thinking I'm going to need to do mine 99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.2L. I've been getting random misfires for months...CEL will come on for a week, then go way. Uses oil but no smoke out the tail pipe, feels down on power; especially when I really put my foot into it.

Sure looks like a blown plenum to me...have no idea when the PCV valve was done last, but I'm thinking that looks like too much oil to be PCV valve related. I opened up the butterflies on the TB and snapped a couple pics.

Your pictures appear to show the oil as quite fresh and liquid. PCV oil would be kind of brownie, caked on texture. Might try to take your extending magnet stick or former antenna or similar and put a portion of shop towel on the end. Tape it on to old the wad. Stick down to plate and collect some to get an idea of the oil.

If it is plentiful and liquid like that, then it sure would indicate a leaking gasket. If you haven't seen, here is a thread that shows a collection of the plates (intact and blown) to help you out.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-post-up.html

Originally Posted by i mow grass
Well finally got around to doing the plenum gasket, only broke off two bolts (front and rear passenger side). Was just wondering what tips yall had for me on removing them. Also what is the best way to remove/clean all the left over fiber-rubber gasket off the kegger without damaging or knicking it up.
Grass Mower! Good work with how much you've done. Are the bolts still protruding from the block? Just get a good grip with vice grips. Even spray some catalyst in the threads. You should be able to easily extract that way. For cleaning, brake cleaner is good to spray on and then use a razor blade. It makes a great flat edge. Scotch brite pads are good too, especially if you need to put more elbow into it. Definitely finish with razor blade.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
4angrybadgers

^^ Yep, razor blade will get the bulk off. I used a car window scraper and a utility knife for different areas. To finish, I used one of these "light rust and paint remover" drill-mounted wheels. (NOT the heavy-duty black one, the lighter brownish wheel.)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2028&ppt=C1952

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread