2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mibzzer15
@stewie I think you may be talking about this one? w/ the 3 keyway crank sprocket? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5756

@redneck_ram Ok thank you, I will have to check that as for some reason I thought it would be behind the timing sprocket on the crank.

thank you!
Yup. That's the one. It has 3 different timing positions, just set it to stock and you're good to go.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM
mibzzer15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured my thread would have been moved, no problem with me! Thanks Hey you!

@stewie My boss is saying it will be fine if I advance/retard the timing if I wanted, should I be able to do that or not is there any reason not to?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure. These motors are different when it comes to timing. I'll bet someone who knows for sure will chime in. I set mine to stock.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
I'm not sure. These motors are different when it comes to timing. I'll bet someone who knows for sure will chime in. I set mine to stock.
+1 Stock cam gets set to 0 no + or -

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured my thread would have been moved, no problem with me! Thanks Hey you!

@stewie My boss is saying it will be fine if I advance/retard the timing if I wanted, should I be able to do that or not is there any reason not to?
Tell your boss . So could he....

Don't need to advance or retard. PCM adjusts as needed.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM
mibzzer15
Professional

Ok yeah I will probably keep it stock then. I dont want to get it all back together, then find out that its not working right because of the timing and have to take it back apart. Thanks....

@Gdstock ....you learn something everyday lol! My boss sure knows a lot of stuff...I think he is probably one of the last few honest and knowledgeable mechanics in the area....I just always like to get a second or third opinion on stuff....Thanks!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
mibzzer15
Professional

Ok I just ordered the Cloyes 3 keyway double roller timing chain set from RockAuto, Thanks for the suggestion Stewie. I should be able to get to the shop and get all the work done next weekend.

Also last thing here, what brand O2 sensors do our trucks like?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
gdstock
Legend

Denso is good. Don't get Bosch.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 AM
mibzzer15
Professional

3 hours into my plenum/water pump/timing chain fix....Got most of the parts torn down, within my first hour tomorrow I should have the intake off. Having trouble getting the stuck fan off the water pump tho. I have all the right tools, that piece of crap is just stuck solid. I already have some Kent rust stuff soaking on it right now. Upon visual inspection of the front main seal....apparently that whole thing has actually popped right out of its *socket* so it is just sitting there allowing oil to leak. Also found that the 4 out of the 6 freeze plugs are leaking. I need to run down to the machine shop down the street and get some deep brass freeze plugs. I may hold off on dropping the oil pan and do that in a few weeks. I plan on doing the plenum fix, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, valve cover seals (leaking), pcv, air filter, belt, water pump, radiator and heater core hoses, o2 sensor, timing chaing and cover, and TPS. Got a full engine set of Apex gaskets. Also replacing fuel injector o-rings, TB o-ring, and anything else I come upon. Thanks for your help guys!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:06 PM
gdstock
Legend

3 hours into my plenum/water pump/timing chain fix....Got most of the parts torn down, within my first hour tomorrow I should have the intake off. Having trouble getting the stuck fan off the water pump tho. I have all the right tools, that piece of crap is just stuck solid. I already have some Kent rust stuff soaking on it right now. Upon visual inspection of the front main seal....apparently that whole thing has actually popped right out of its *socket* so it is just sitting there allowing oil to leak. Also found that the 4 out of the 6 freeze plugs are leaking. I need to run down to the machine shop down the street and get some deep brass freeze plugs. I may hold off on dropping the oil pan and do that in a few weeks. I plan on doing the plenum fix, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, valve cover seals (leaking), pcv, air filter, belt, water pump, radiator and heater core hoses, o2 sensor, timing chaing and cover, and TPS. Got a full engine set of Apex gaskets. Also replacing fuel injector o-rings, TB o-ring, and anything else I come upon. Thanks for your help guys!

How is the project going?

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread