2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Red70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!
I am new to this forum but not new to turning wrenches. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 extended (quad)cab with the 5.9L Magnum / auto.
I have only had this truck for almost 2 years but have had every typical problem that comes along with them...... Including 2 trans rebuilds (1740... I hate them #'s!!), the steering issues, and everything else.
All have been corrected and just when I thought I was on the path to freedom, I believe I have the plemun issue.
I hauled an 18' trailer 1500 miles one way to northern MN, from the Philly PA area. On the way back I got some pretty bad 'pinging' but chalked it up to a batch of bad fuel. Then I noticed while trying to pull the (empty) trailer up some hills, (mountain sides), my speed would drop from 65mph to around 45mph. Seemed like the truck either wated to stay reving at 2500 rpm's gaining (a little bit) of speed or shift into OD and slow down. Plain and simple, the truck just seemed to have no power. Once I got on fairly level ground, it ran 'to the beat of the band'.
I'd be doing 70 - 75 mph with ease at a nice RPM. Low and behold I knew something was not right. After researching online and ruling out a trans issue, I found you guys and all of the talk about the plenum issue. I checked the oil and am only 1 qt or so low. ( did fresh oil change 5 miles before I left and knew it was 100% full).
After sitting for about 2 days, I finally got up the gusto to remove the air hat and look into the intake past the throttle body flaps.... I see residue of oil, but no puddles or anything major. I assume after sitting anything in there must have seeped back out and into the motor?
Anyway, I'm sure it has not been done before and I should just take care of the issue now.... Honestly, my only other idea is a partially clogged cat so either way I need to do it. I just ordered the kit from Hughes that comes with the new plate, gaskets, bolts, thermostate, etc.

I'll let you know how it goes when the kit arrives! Hope this is the problem!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Red70
Hey guys!
I am new to this forum but not new to turning wrenches. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 extended (quad)cab with the 5.9L Magnum / auto.
I have only had this truck for almost 2 years but have had every typical problem that comes along with them...... Including 2 trans rebuilds (1740... I hate them #'s!!), the steering issues, and everything else.
All have been corrected and just when I thought I was on the path to freedom, I believe I have the plemun issue.
I hauled an 18' trailer 1500 miles one way to northern MN, from the Philly PA area. On the way back I got some pretty bad 'pinging' but chalked it up to a batch of bad fuel. Then I noticed while trying to pull the (empty) trailer up some hills, (mountain sides), my speed would drop from 65mph to around 45mph. Seemed like the truck either wated to stay reving at 2500 rpm's gaining (a little bit) of speed or shift into OD and slow down. Plain and simple, the truck just seemed to have no power. Once I got on fairly level ground, it ran 'to the beat of the band'.
I'd be doing 70 - 75 mph with ease at a nice RPM. Low and behold I knew something was not right. After researching online and ruling out a trans issue, I found you guys and all of the talk about the plenum issue. I checked the oil and am only 1 qt or so low. ( did fresh oil change 5 miles before I left and knew it was 100% full).
After sitting for about 2 days, I finally got up the gusto to remove the air hat and look into the intake past the throttle body flaps.... I see residue of oil, but no puddles or anything major. I assume after sitting anything in there must have seeped back out and into the motor?
Anyway, I'm sure it has not been done before and I should just take care of the issue now.... Honestly, my only other idea is a partially clogged cat so either way I need to do it. I just ordered the kit from Hughes that comes with the new plate, gaskets, bolts, thermostate, etc.

I'll let you know how it goes when the kit arrives! Hope this is the problem!
You need to remove the TB to inspect the plenum(as stated in this thread). Looking through the butterflies is not a good way to tell. And btw, welcome to DF.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Red70

Originally Posted by zman17
You need to remove the TB to inspect the plenum(as stated in this thread). Looking through the butterflies is not a good way to tell. And btw, welcome to DF.
Thanks for the welcome!
I have read and read and read and read some more of this thread. Theres alot to read and I just dont have that much time. I started scanning after 15 or so pages. I did not see the part about looking thru the butterflies as not a good way to check for the issue? In fact, the begining of this thread is where I got the idea to just look thru the butterflies.
Can you help point me to the page that shows the best way to check for a bad plenum? Either way, I ordered the kit from Hughes and I'm sure at 140,000 miles it's over due!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red70
Thanks for the welcome!
I have read and read and read and read some more of this thread. Theres alot to read and I just dont have that much time. I started scanning after 15 or so pages. I did not see the part about looking thru the butterflies as not a good way to check for the issue? In fact, the begining of this thread is where I got the idea to just look thru the butterflies.
Can you help point me to the page that shows the best way to check for a bad plenum? Either way, I ordered the kit from Hughes and I'm sure at 140,000 miles it's over due!
You just can't get a good look around with the throttle body on.

The symptoms listed on the first page are the best indicators of a bad plenum gasket/pcv valve...

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Towing in O/D is a bad plan too... Will generally result in yet another trans rebuild.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 AM
mibzzer15
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
How is the project going?
HAH thanks for checking up! I forgot to check back here after I finished up. Everything went pretty well, only had 1 broken intake bolt which I drilled out and used an EZout to extract. Decided to go with stock timing on the cloyes 3 keyway crank timing chain set. I need to get back in the shop sometime in the next few weeks and take care of the leaking freeze plugs and oil pan gasket. The truck runs great now, but it also seems like it still has an issue from before I did the work. It seems like in higher gears going 60-70mph down the freeway it just sorta lags, like there isnt any power and the engine/tranny is just sorta whining....So I need to probably drop the pan soon and check that out too...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
maniacripper

So I'm getting ready to tackle the plenum gasket on my 1997 Ram 5.9.

Is there a list of tools I need to complete the repair?

I'm going to order the Hughes repair kit, and and two 3/4 torque wrenches (one in ft/lbs one in inch/lbs). What else am I supposed to have on hand to get it apart, fixed and back together? I have thermostat gaskets and Ultra Black gasket sealer (good to 500 degrees?).

Do I need to remove the radiator/fan and if so what tools are required?

I notice in the guides that the fuel line needs to be removed, ac lines too, what tools should I have on hand to do that?

I'd appreciate any advice to make things easier too, but I'm more worried about having the right tools on hand.

Anything else I should do while i have the negine apart that will make life easier? I need to swap a heater core but I assume that's best done by removing the dash (or going through the giant holes in my dash board)

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maniacripper
So I'm getting ready to tackle the plenum gasket on my 1997 Ram 5.9.

Is there a list of tools I need to complete the repair?

I'm going to order the Hughes repair kit, and and two 3/4 torque wrenches (one in ft/lbs one in inch/lbs). What else am I supposed to have on hand to get it apart, fixed and back together? I have thermostat gaskets and Ultra Black gasket sealer (good to 500 degrees?).

Do I need to remove the radiator/fan and if so what tools are required?

I notice in the guides that the fuel line needs to be removed, ac lines too, what tools should I have on hand to do that?

I'd appreciate any advice to make things easier too, but I'm more worried about having the right tools on hand.

Anything else I should do while i have the negine apart that will make life easier? I need to swap a heater core but I assume that's best done by removing the dash (or going through the giant holes in my dash board)

Thanks!
No, leave the radiator alone! Yes you have to remove the fan, it comes out before you can get the shroud out

Need a spanner tool to hold the pulley while you loosen the fan, the part number is in the FSM, I used a flat head screwdriver that was bent into a "L".

You need a fuel line disconnect tool, I think 3/8"s.

Do you don't have to disconnect the AC. You can sing the whole accessory bracket off to the side, and zip tie or whatever it to fender or something.

Generally you have to drop the dash to replace the heater core.

This will be the absolute best time to replace the timing chain, since you are literally right there. Water pump too if it's old, new ones are cheap. Double Roller Timing Chains can be bought from rockauto.com for around $47 plus shipping, and there is a discount thread around too.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, this thread needs some major cleaning up.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Jefe52

I've a question on this - because I have a 2001 Ramp 1500 Quad. As the thread originator said: going through a quart of 20-50 about every 100 miles - quicker if I'm hauling a trailer. Loss of power, etc. The other thing is that after sitting for a couple of days on my driveway (slight incline) when I start it up I get a hug cloud of white/whitish-blue smoke that lasts for a few minutes. I'm no mechanic, so I'm asking if this is indicative of the problem described above? The remedies sound better than buying a new engine.

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread