2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
PutThtPed@lDown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust

Lookin to put an exhaust on my ram as soon as it gets a little warmer up here soon. Haven't done one other than order one for our 2009
Challenger, and that was just a borla kit that we had installed rather than do it ourselves. I've got a 98' 1500 Quad Cab with a 318 in it. The exhuast isn't leaking too bad yet but she's getting old. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to have a muffler shop custom build me one, or buy a kit from a place like flowmaster or gibson. Money isn't toomuch of an issue. Long as it isn't crazy of course. Maybe 6-700$ i was thinkin would be reasonable? My main concern is noise and power. I plan on putting an intake on it at the same time,but i want an exhaust that will be louuudd. I'm guessingi'll have to cut the cat'soff to get the sound i want? I have two 4" slant chrome tips that i wanna 45 out the back, so other than that i want all new. Any ideas or tips would be great! Thanks guys.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

An exhaust shop won't touch it without cats, or, without re-installing some manner of cat. They can get in deep dark trouble for that kind of behavior.

Do you want just a cat-back exhaust? Or, do you want to do headers and such as well?

Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on the state for the heyyou, not all states have the dumbass rule.

but even in states that do have that dumb law, if you hollow you cat out by yourself, they will run the pipe from the cat back. i got told 250 to run it all the way out the back, thats with me already havin the muffler.

if your wantin loud, you can get the cherrybombs for like 30-50 bucks, and run a true dual setup with and x pipe and no cats, that baby would scream!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Damn sorry this reply took so long. I'm lookin for loud, mpg isnt too big of a trip to me neither is emmisions. I'm in wisconsin and idk about laws but i know theres no emmisions and a lot of straightpiped trucks out here where i live so im not too worried about day to day stuff. At first i was thinking of going with a magnaflow kit or something simple like that. I didnt wanna get too deep cause i was thinkin of swapping out the engine eventually. But im swaying toward running it till it gives now, so i m looking for a cheap pair of headers. Found some shorties on summit for around 200 bucks. So i was thinkin the best thing to do would be to take it to an exhaust shop and have it completely redone? i know the y pipe is a really restrictive piece. Would a low key country uffler shop gut the cat(s) for me without getting to worried? Are there one or two on my 318? haha havent even looked. Right now ive got 5" slant cut chrome tips, about 2 feet long that i want 45 out the back sides. Other than that im still deciding on everything. Any advice is welcome and ill check more often this week. Thank you so much guys.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will only have 1 cat, after the y. yea y is not the best, you can run "trueduals" with an x pipe and some flowmaster 40s or cherrybombs and that baby would scream. and yea get rid of the cat all together or gut it out. those summit shortys aint bad, but they wont have the bang that long tube headers would. still will give it a little more throaty song. you will want to run either 2.25" pipe or 2.5" for the rest.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Catalytic converters are Federally mandated. That's why ALL cars and trucks will have at least one. If the auto manufacturers could get away with NOT installing them in some states, they would leave them off, and pocket the extra money. (note: California has stricter emissions laws, so, manufacturers build cars specifically for that market.....)

That said, some states are more strict on ENFORCEMENT of said laws...... There is no emissions testing where I live, but, the exhaust shops still wont touch a car that doesn't have at least the 'appearance' of having a cat. There are some that will do a catless exhaust... but, you won't get a receipt, and you will have to pay cash.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
deeznutts
Professional

im running true duals on my 95,like stated above it pends on what state and what exhaust shop you use,some will work on em with out a cat some wont,mine did right now my setup is eddie headders into 2.5 true dual piping into a magnflow x,back to 2 prostreet spintech mufflers and tucked under my roll pan with dual ss tips.i've still got to take it back and get my dual bullet cats installed then it will pass inspection but as of right now she wont.,but i love the sound...

and this is before

Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 PM
PutThtPed@lDown

Alright, thanks man. That truck sounds real good, thats the noise im looking for. I think i got a shop thatll let me pay cash to just cut it off, and ill go from the shorties with true duals and either a super 44 or some nicer glasspacks

Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 AM
93grandzj
Professional

noise can still be loud, even with cat. just get a new high flow. take out the muffler, straight pipe is what i run on the ram, and jeep with 5.2 had straight pipe also but that was crazy loud.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 AM
slicedtomatoes
Rookie

get stainless steel if your in wisconion...with all the weather and salt the aluminized pipes suk

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust