2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Budget Lift... Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Racer26
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Lift... Need some advice.

I have an 01 Ram 1500 2wd, and am looking at lifting it. I am thinking of a 3" body lift with about a 3" suspension lift. I wouldn't mind going more, but it seems like that would be about the most I could lift without doing severe mods to the front end parts, arms, etc.

-Should I do 3" lift coils or 3" lift spindles in the front?

-What other parts will I have to mod if I do this lift? I will be getting new shocks, pitman arms, longer brake cables, but are there any other front suspension parts I will have to change?

-Is a 3" suspension lift the most I can do without having to do mods such as lengthening the driveshaft, control arms, etc?

I am new to the whole lift kit world, and some starting advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coils will be a lot cheaper than the spindles....and 3" is asking alot out of front control arms, ride is going to suck.

Stick with the 2.5's coils and ride will be way better

Pitman arm is fine

My brake cables are fine and I dont think the body lift will change that(if it does then you will need a tad bit longer lines)

No need to lengthen driveshaft with that kinda height, as long as you stay under 3" on coils no need for control arms.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Racer26
I have an 01 Ram 1500 2wd, and am looking at lifting it. I am thinking of a 3" body lift with about a 3" suspension lift. I wouldn't mind going more, but it seems like that would be about the most I could lift without doing severe mods to the front end parts, arms, etc.

-Should I do 3" lift coils or 3" lift spindles in the front?

-What other parts will I have to mod if I do this lift? I will be getting new shocks, pitman arms, longer brake cables, but are there any other front suspension parts I will have to change?

-Is a 3" suspension lift the most I can do without having to do mods such as lengthening the driveshaft, control arms, etc?

I am new to the whole lift kit world, and some starting advice would be greatly appreciated!
You can't do 3" without longer upper control arms. It is possible, but your geometry of your suspension will be severely screwed up. 2.5" is the limit on factory components, and that's pushing the limits. If you do lift, I would change your ball joints too. If you want the 3", spindles will give you that, although they push your front stance outwards a few inches, causing a prerunner look. But the advantage is factory geometry and ride quality.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
The coils will be a lot cheaper than the spindles....and 3" is asking alot out of front control arms, ride is going to suck.

Stick with the 2.5's coils and ride will be way better

Pitman arm is fine

My brake cables are fine and I dont think the body lift will change that(if it does then you will need a tad bit longer lines)

No need to lengthen driveshaft with that kinda height, as long as you stay under 3" on coils no need for control arms.
Damn you beat me lol

Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Racer26
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys! Cleared up most of my questions. One more question though.
How high of lift blocks should I get for the rear if I go with the 2.5" coils? I want the truck to sit about level, or with the front slightly higher.

Also, which would give better handling- 2.5" lift coils in the front or a 3" lift coil kit in the front with different upper control arms?

Here is a kit I found... didn't know if was any good.
http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/...112/rid/127794

Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

well i lifted mine 1.5in n the front a its leveled..... a 1in bock should do it

before buying form that company i would call or look around more, there was a guy on there that bought than lift and had bad luck with customer sevters

ebay also sells 2.5 coils

Old 05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

I would definantely go with the 3" coils and control arms if you can afford to.

a 1" block will be good for the back, a 2" block if you tow allot.

Nothing wrong with that kit, and not a bad price at all, just know with them shackles you can have a squeek from the shackle bolt touching the hanger, I use white lithium grease to shut it up.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Racer26
Rookie

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
I would definantely go with the 3" coils and control arms if you can afford to.

a 1" block will be good for the back, a 2" block if you tow allot.

Nothing wrong with that kit, and not a bad price at all, just know with them shackles you can have a squeek from the shackle bolt touching the hanger, I use white lithium grease to shut it up.

Sorry for a newbie sounding question, but what will the shackles do for the lift and how do they work? Do they drop the rear leaf springs?

And then a separate question maybe someone can help me with. I currently have 245/75/16 tires (30.5's) with the V6 and 3.55 gears. I already want to go higher regardless to get some extra power. But, now that I am either going to throw 33's or 35's under it, I will need a gear change either way. Do you think I should go with 4.56's or 4.88's? It seems that 4.10's would still be too low.

Thanks!!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

With the six, i would go 4.56 with the 33's, 4.88 with 35's.....

Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

A lift shackle will be shorter than stock, it will lower the spring in reference to the frame...causing it to lift the truck.

I got no clue on the v6 as far as gears, but since it has less power I would have to agree with heyyou unless you do alot of highway driving

Quick Reply: Budget Lift... Need some advice.