2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Reverse strangeness

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM
moze229
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse strangeness

2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab 5.9L with 53,000 miles. Yes, that's correct. 53,000 miles.

Ok guys, you get into your truck first thing in the morning, start it up, put it in reverse and nothing happens . . . for a few seconds, then it starts to roll. Eventually, you are backing up normally. But, it takes a few seconds to get going. Only does this in reverse. When you put a vehicle in reverse with your foot on the brake, the truck should shift slightly as it reaches its torque wall until you let off the brake. It's like it's taking a long time for something to 'grab hold' or something. And it when it starts to work, it's not like it just kicks in all of a sudden. It's just a gradual thing - sort of like engaging a clutch very slowly. This occurs overnight somewhat, but becomes more noticeable as time passes. In other words, the longer it sits, the more pronounced the problem is. I've been riding my motorcycles lately because of the awesome weather so my truck has been sitting more than normal, but today it was freaking so hot I decided to drive.

Putting the truck in drive while stone cold and has sit for a few days doesn't cause any issues like reverse does. The transmission shifts normally and hasn't given me one lick of problems since I bought the truck brand new in 2001 with 3 miles on it. I pulled a boat with it for three years, but it was light for a boat/trailer (3500 lbs.) and only pulled it about 10 miles each way to and from the lake about 10-15 times a year. Sold the boat in 2006 and the truck has been fine until I noticed this 'problem' recently.

Any ideas?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 PM
moze229
Rookie

And I forgot to mention...

I recently had the pinion seal replaced (on the rear) and I changed the transmission fluid and filter. Problem is still there.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't put it straight into reverse! Yeah, that sounds cheeky but it's technically correct.

What you should be doing to extend the life of your transmission is shifting into Neutral after a cold start, and let it run for 10-15 seconds to fill the torque converter and other goodies. Y'see, a stock 46R doesn't "charge" in Park, and what you're seeing is a symptom of that. For maximal transmission lifetime, you should go so far as to select a forward gear for a few seconds, after a cold start and 10-15 second charge time, before selecting Reverse.

It's just quirk of the 46R transmission.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Don't put it straight into reverse! Yeah, that sounds cheeky but it's technically correct.

What you should be doing to extend the life of your transmission is shifting into Neutral after a cold start, and let it run for 10-15 seconds to fill the torque converter and other goodies. Y'see, a stock 46R doesn't "charge" in Park, and what you're seeing is a symptom of that. For maximal transmission lifetime, you should go so far as to select a forward gear for a few seconds, after a cold start and 10-15 second charge time, before selecting Reverse.

It's just quirk of the 46R transmission.
Ok - that's easy enough, and makes sense. (As if I know anything - LOL). Strange that I never noticed this quirk until recently. I've always gone into reverse as a first choice gear when backing out of my driveway for the last 10 years. Wish I would have known this information 10 years ago. LOL

So, this isn't a sign that the transmission is going downhill? I'll try what you said here and report back in a few days.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by moze229
So, this isn't a sign that the transmission is going downhill? I'll try what you said here and report back in a few days.
Oh, it can be but isn't necessarily such a sign. It's probably just a 46R doing what 46R's do. If allowing it some cold start charge time doesn't alleviate the symptom, and the maintenance has been kept up on schedule, then the most likely cause that I can think of is wear where the steel detent ball (for the manual valve) rides in the aluminum valve body. The fix for that, if it is indeed the case, is to ream out that bore in the valve body, install a steel sleeve and a new ball, and never see that problem again. With no more than 53k miles, though, I wouldn't expect it's had a chance to make that kind of wear and it's probably just the 46R being a 46R.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM
moze229
Rookie

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Oh, it can be but isn't necessarily such a sign. It's probably just a 46R doing what 46R's do. If allowing it some cold start charge time doesn't alleviate the symptom, and the maintenance has been kept up on schedule, then the most likely cause that I can think of is wear where the steel detent ball (for the manual valve) rides in the aluminum valve body. The fix for that, if it is indeed the case, is to ream out that bore in the valve body, install a steel sleeve and a new ball, and never see that problem again. With no more than 53k miles, though, I wouldn't expect it's had a chance to make that kind of wear and it's probably just the 46R being a 46R.
That's a great thing to hear. I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

do you still have the factory check valve in the trans line near the radiator?
if you dont then whats happening is normal,
if you do your valve might be stuck open allowing you fluid to drain back into the pan.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
if you do your valve might be stuck open allowing you fluid to drain back into the pan.
'Scuse me, but BULL5h17!

Quick Reply: Reverse strangeness