2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbie from Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 AM
steffers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie from Alabama

HI everyone!

my name is Stephanie and Im from Alabama. Born and raised. Me and my fiance just recently bought a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4. And we LOVE IT! It is everything we wanted in a truck, especially the 4x4..lol. It has the power, nice looks, and the interior is almost immaculate. The only thing we have done to it is we had it in the shop to get out what dents were in it, had it completely repainted and had a spray bedliner put in. Only thing we need to do now is put the nerf bars on it. Not easy for my short butt to get up into it..lol..we have them just need to get them installed. We are still wanting to do alot more stuff to it to make it nicer. The only problem we are having right now is the shifting. Sometimes it shifts smooth, sometimes it doesnt or doesnt shift at all and we have to manually shift it. We were told it sounds like the govenor solenoid and the other one(cant think of the name) that goes with it. So we are hoping thats all it is and not need a new trans. But i am glad to be here and im going to get my fiance to start coming here. If anyone has any suggestions on what we can do to it to make it better, any and all are welcome. Thanks for having us!

Stephanie

Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site

Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the second generation Ram section,
FF

Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
steffers
Default trans problem but not sure

Hi again....
As i have stated before, i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 laramie SLT extended cab. We have recently been having problems with the shifting. First, it wouldnt shift out of first unless we manually shifted it. Also there is a rough idle. We have changed the trans fluid and filter. (for the shifting problem) As for the rough idle, we replaced the wires, plugs, cap/rotor, ignition coil, throttle position sensor, pcv valve, air filter, a couple of vacuum hose, had the catalytic converter checked and replaced the exhaust.. The guy we bought it from said he replaced the MAF sensor, head gasket and intake gasket. The engine light is on so we took it to AutoZone and the codes that came up were --random cylinder missfire, governor pressure not equal to target value , evap large leak. What those mean, i have no freakin clue. When we took it out today, the shifting just went to hell, we were lucky to even get it home. It didnt do that till we changed the trans fluid and cleaned the governor solenoid. He said when he was changing it, there was a gray, mud like sludge inside the pan. He doesnt know what else to do to it other than to replace the governor pressure solenoid, governor pressure transducer, and the overdrive and lock up solenoids. Can someone PLEASE give me some insight on what may be the problem and how i can fix it? Im starting to run out of money..lol..QUICK...

Thanks guys!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

For the trans: Unplug the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, shortly behind the shift linkage. This will disable ALL automatic function, you will HAVE to shift the trans manually. Take it out for a short drive. If the trans does what you tell it to, WHEN you tell it to, then replacing the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid will more than likely solve all your shifting problems, and eliminate the code for the sensor. Make sure you use ONLY ATF +4. Might wanna adjust the bands while you are in there as well.

Random Misfire: When the headgasket and intake was done, did they reseal the plenum gasket as well? (steel plate on bottom of intake, gotta pull it to replace it.) Have a look down your throttle body, and see what it looks like down there. If it is an oily mess, you get to pull the intake again, and fix what they neglected. Check the Be-All, End-All plenum thread at the top of this forum for a lot more information on this particular little issue.

Does the engine run round ALL the time? Or, just after it warms up for a few minutes? Do you get a miss while driving?? Easy way to test, provide 4th gear, and TCC lockup work right..... Is take the truck somewhere that doesn't have a lot of traffic, and you can get up to around 50, without unduly annoying John Law. From a dead stop, accelerate slowly and pay attention to what gear it is in. If you have a miss, at right around 45-50 mph, when the trans hits 4th, and tcc locks, the truck will shake horribly, you will swear that parts are about to fall off....... That's a miss.

It might be due to a blown plenum, bad O2 sensor, or failing crankshaft position sensor..... eliminate the easier stuff first...... if you wind up having to replace the crank sensor, get one from the dealer, our trucks don't much like the aftermarket fellers.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the site.

evap purge is a leak in the gasoline vapor trapping system, and could be a simple as a bad gas cap. Also check the passenger side engine bay for a circular solenoid that looks like it's got 4 or 5 rubber tubes coming from it. Check those tubes cracks or leaks. Then check the large tube that feeds into the front of the throttle body for cracks.

Transmissions are the weak link of this particular generation of truck. Your symptoms sound like a trans, on it's way out. You can try a band adjustment to see if the band is just so loose it won't grab the drum, or replacing the governor solenoid and sensor, but it's likely you could just be throwing good money away. I'd take it to a trustworthy shop and get a diagnosis.

HeyYou ninjaed me on the rest. He's an epic post *****, but he knows his ****.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 06-19-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound like a sensor .. they can be wacky on these trucks .. for some reason I see a lot of 01 rams with tranny problems . Change tranny fluid it should be a good ruby red color . Post some pics and welcome ..there will be guys with better advise

Old 06-19-2011, 10:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
there will be guys with better advise
That's just cold blooded right thurr...

Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 PM
steffers

Thank you for all the advice. As for the trans, the 8 pin wire harness....is that on the outside or inside of the trans? Also how do adjust the bands? I can do alot on vehicles but when it comes transmissions I'm still a beginner. As for the misfire, it only happens at idle, the truck idles rough, no rhyme or reason, does it cold, hot, whenever. When you drive it runs smooth (when it's shifting lol). I cleared the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins and it hasn't come back on since.
-John

Quick Reply: newbie from Alabama