2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Weird ABS/Airbag/Check Engine light problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird ABS/Airbag/Check Engine light problem?

On sunday I made a 190 mile round trip to see my dad. When I got home I parked my truck and took some stuff inside. When I went back out to move my truck to it's normal parking place it was very sluggish then the ABS light came on then went off after about 2 seconds. I parked the truck for the night. Today when driving home from work my dash dinged the ABS light and Airbag light came on. I started to look for a spot to pull over and the dash dinged again and the Check Engine light came on. Now I'm starting to get worried. Then the Airbag light went off for about 2 seconds then came back on then off again then back on. I start to pull over and the ABS light and Airbag light both go off at the same time and after a few seconds the Check Engine light turns off. Now I'm really confused. Keep in mind ALL of this happened in about a 20-30 SECOND time frame. I pull over and nothing is hanging under the truck and everything under the hood looks normal. I do the 3 times on/off ignition process and if just says "done" so no codes. I checked brake fluid and it's full.

Does anyone know what's going on? Maybe a sensor going bad or something?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:17 PM
El_Kabong

Had something similar happen a couple years ago, except I don't remember the engine light, just ABS and Air Bag, turned out to be the speed sensor at the rear differential. Suggest search that see what you get.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Novarider
Captain

Anyone else got any ideas?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

I like El Kabong's idea. Fits the symptoms.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Novarider
Captain

Ok. So I know ahead of time where is the sensor located?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The main one is right up on top of the rear differential. You will see the wiring harness gong down to it.

You might also want to check the back of the trans, or transfer case, and see if there isn't a speed sensor there as well.

I would be real tempted to visit the parts store, and have them plug a code reader into the truck as well, and see if you can look at history codes....... The CEL had to come on for a reason.....

Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Novarider
Captain

Can the cheap ones the parts store use read code history or just current codes?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure, I think they can get history.. but, just depends on which scanner they have.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A cheap one most likely won't read ABS codes anyway.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
garam
Professional

Have you recently purchased, changed or added any accessories to it?

FWIW

I once bought a cheap simple cellular phone charger to use in my 05 Dakota. When I plugged it into the power outlet the check engine light, airbag light etc came on. I even think it idled a little rough (been a while). Unplugged it everything went back to normal.

In my Ram I have a CB radio and a three outlet power (cigarette lighter) socket connected to an independent fuse panel. That's connected directly to the battery with 8 gauge wire. Had it connected that way for three or four years now. Wired it up soon after getting the truck. The fasten seat belt light would come on and off intermittently even with my seat belt fastened. Never thought much of it due to the age and miles on the vehicle. Then the other day I noticed the seat belt light come on right after I turned the CB radio on.
Anyways The battery I have in it now has both top and side posts. Yesterday I bought side post connectors and wired my CB radio's fuse panel up to the side posts and the vehicle's cables stayed on top. Since then I haven't seen the seat belt light come on.

Just throwing that out there....

Quick Reply: Weird ABS/Airbag/Check Engine light problem?