2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to me 2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab sport electrical problems and more!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Is it still in the fuse block or in your hand. If it's in the block still, you have to squeeze it a certain way and both pieces will come out. It's a PITA.
Yeah I've messed with fuses pleanty but never seen one with a casing around certain fuses. I will have to mess with it a little

Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
ok good Zman its amazing that fuses are so hard for some to figure out.

to the OP you might want to invest in a cheap little test light, you can find them for $2 at any autopart store, and will make checking all fuses a 2 minute job.

I would check truck for stored codes from that blinking CEL
Light flashed one time and hasnt been back since.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:05 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

I was sitting here and thought let me go look at those fuses one more time. I went out and looked at that fuse with the black on it. Trying taking it out and it just didnt want to go. I've been trying to be gentle because I dont want to break anything. So finally I did what I always do and got pissed and yanked it real hard it came rite out. Then poped it out of that black housing with a screw driver and the fuse is blown. I dont have any 10 amps fuses so it looks like I'm goign to the autp parts in the AM. Hopefully this does it guys

Old 06-27-2011, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by mgaither0
Let me clarify because I wrote all i did like a dumb ***. What I was saying in my experience with vehicles no vehicle benifits from not having the transmission flushed. I only went to jiffy lube because I had to be at work at 11 and I wanted to get the oil changed and vehicle looked over. I tried to go to two other shops but the other two I called said that they were backed up and it would be at least a few hours till they got to changing the oil. I didnt have that time. On sunday all thats open is mainly tire shops. I would of changed the oil but again I wanted a shop to look it over to see at least what they had to say about the vehicle. Any problems that stood out to them. Now onto the transmission. I stated that I hope it had been changed before and hadnt done any damage. Whether I flushed it or not if damage had been done its done. I also stated that people saying if its the transmission hasnt been changed in forever and its all busted up inside and has crap holding it all together like sludge that people say flushing ti can ruin it. But I'm saying you just have sludge and broke **** holding it together short term till it all takes a ****.
Doing a flush on a transmission that has not had it done on a regular basis is a bad plan, for the previously mentioned reasons. All that crap that is sticking to things gets circulated thru the trans, and breaks things all on its own. I have seen many, many, many transmissions fail within 50 miles of having the flush done. When I worked at the dealership, we STOPPED offering that service, simply because of that. When people requested the service anyway, they were warned, up front, that doing so may cause trans failure, and we would NOT be responsible if their trans took a dump. I have dealt with many an Irate customer, that didn't listen to us, did it anyway, and then pissed, bitched and moaned about "how we killed their transmission". It would then be pointed out, that we warned them, in writing, and isn't that their signature right there?

I would also question the validity of anything the techs at jiffy lube had to say about the condition of my vehicle...... they make money be selling you services, whether you need them or not. These guys are NOT trained mechanics. Most of them don't have a clue about some of the things they are doing/recommending in any event. I pay folks of that nature to change my oil, but, that's it. Taking 'advice' from them is a sure way to screw up your vehicle.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe I misunderstood the OP, but about the 'new to him' truck:

You need an inspection? and you have a CEL?

I don't know about other states, but I know that in NC and SC, it is illegal for a DEALER (either new or used) to sell a vehicle without a current inspection, and that means NO CEL.. I think I'd go back and talk to that dealer fella..

Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 AM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That fuse will fix both. A tip to dealing with fuses for you, check them all so it doesnt keep you wondering later.

Reason: some electrical systems piggy back on other fuses.
Example: My wiper fuse effected my door chime and open door lights in my dakota when it was blown.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by drewactual
maybe I misunderstood the OP, but about the 'new to him' truck:

You need an inspection? and you have a CEL?

I don't know about other states, but I know that in NC and SC, it is illegal for a DEALER (either new or used) to sell a vehicle without a current inspection, and that means NO CEL.. I think I'd go back and talk to that dealer fella..
. The cel was not on when I test drove it. It is also not on now. After I bought the truck in NJ from a dealer and was drivng back to MD and going over a bridge in DE it flashed on and off as few times. It never stayed on just flashed. It hasn't been on since. NJ only required emission and it passed that. Legally they are good on there end

Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mgaither0
. The cel was not on when I test drove it. It is also not on now. After I bought the truck in NJ from a dealer and was drivng back to MD and going over a bridge in DE it flashed on and off as few times. It never stayed on just flashed. It hasn't been on since. NJ only required emission and it passed that. Legally they are good on there end
sweet... just wanted to add that is all.. yeah man, if you listen to the dudes in this thread they won't steer you wrong...

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a scanner and check for stored codes. Any auto parts store can scan your truck

Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truck set off a code and the CEL came on and blinked your truck will store that CEL for 50 cycles regardless if it never triggers again, its always nice to know what caused it, somtimes you can blow it off other times it might be worth looking into

Quick Reply: New to me 2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab sport electrical problems and more!