2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No drain bolt on your trans pan? NO problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:46 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No drain bolt on your trans pan? NO problem!!

I decided my trans filter was past due, and I wanted to share with you all another way to drop the pan without making a mess on your floor.

Several years ago, I received a "LiquiVac" as a gift. It's advertised as a vacuum pump that is used to change oil in lawnmowers. I never used it, but I decided to try it a few months ago, and MAN this thing comes in handy!! Very handy to change out PS fluid also.

Use the length of your dipstick to determine roughly how far you need to insert the tube into your transmission dipstick tube to be in the fluid, without going in too far. Engage the kink valve to kink the tube, and pump the handle. Disengage the kink lock when you are ready to draw out your old transmission fluid and Voila!

I had to dump out the little tank when it got full, and I drew out fluid until I began to suck air. I withdrew my vacuum tube and moved on towards the transmission pan.

The pan can then be removed. Some fluid will remain in the pan after using the vacuum, but I didn't really try to get it all. Very manageable the way it was.

Get a catch pan to catch the fluid that will drip out of the filter when the pan is removed.

-Clean your magnet.
-Carefully scrape off the old gasket.
-Use Brake Parts Cleaner to clean any grime out of the pan.
-Change the filter using a Torx bit.
-Put the new gasket on the pan, and put the pan on.

DO NOT use a loaner torque wrench from your local auto parts store to torque the pan bolts. Some bone-head probably already used the wrench to undo his lug nuts (a torque wrench isn't made to work as a breaker bar just because it's longer than a ratchet!). Use a known-to-be good torque wrench.

Well, I sure hope this gives some of you fellas some ideas to keep a cleaner garage! I did buy a drain plug but I didn't end up installing it. This method was so simple, I felt the drain plug was unnecessary. This would also be perfect if you wanted to swap just a few quarts at a time in between filter changes.

Edit* And DON'T forget to refill with ATF+4 ONLY! I put 3 quarts in, shifted through each gear, drove around the block gently a couple times, and rechecked it, put another quart or so in, drove around the block a few more times, etc until it was full. It took just over 6 quarts for mine to read FULL. I let it drain a little longer than what it needed.

-JT

Last edited by JSTMoto; 07-03-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:58 AM
talthyren
Veteran

I have one of these too, generally only use it for PS fluid changes as you mentioned, never thought to use it in the trans, thanks for the tip!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:57 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt recommend driving around the block before the transmission is completely, or close to full. 3 quarts down is pushing it. Let it idle and move the selector to each gear for about 3 seconds then go back to neutral and check. Once you do that a few times then go for a drive.

Good job on the write up though.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:09 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

im glad to hear the tech advise from this guy he knows what hes doin

Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by MonteC
I wouldnt recommend driving around the block before the transmission is completely, or close to full. 3 quarts down is pushing it. Let it idle and move the selector to each gear for about 3 seconds then go back to neutral and check. Once you do that a few times then go for a drive.

Good job on the write up though.

Thanks for the tip.

Here is what I did in more detail (also, each time I checked the fluid, I was in Neutral):
When I put the 3 quarts in, the dipstick read at the "Full" line. I shifted through the gears a few times and made sure I waited for the truck to 'lurch' into gear fully before shifting to the next gear, and then the dipstick read in the lower "Okay" range. I've never done a "drop and fill" before, and thought the drop in fluid level was typical.

Figuring that I had sufficient fluid for a test drive, I drove around my neighborhood briefly. When I got back, I was just below the "add" line (about a 1/8" on the dipstick). I dumped in two full quarts to reach the "Full" mark. I drove to the parts store to return something, and picked up two quarts of ATF +4 for good measure. When I got home, I was at the "add" line again! I added another full quart and it hasn't deviated much from "Full".

My garage floor has a slight incline going into the garage. I know the dipstick pulls from the front of the pan which would make the dipstick read a little lower when on an incline, so I have a feeling I may have over-filled it by .5 quart.

MonteC,
1. Would that extra .5 quart (or so) need to be sucked out?

2. Also and more importantly, when I drove it with the 3 quarts in, what kind of damage could I have done if the transmission sucked air from the pan? In other words, what would a sudden loss of fluid pressure at drive do inside the transmission? Fluid was dark, so I am going to do another filter change soon, and I don't want to make the same mistake twice in a row.

Thanks a bunch MonteC, I wasn't on the forum when you were here a while ago, but I'm sure glad you're back!

-JT

Old 07-04-2011, 08:20 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It varies from trans to trans. Some can handle being a little low for a short period, others dont. Ive done bench jobs where the customers only put 8 quarts in a 12-13 quart system, did not end well.

Honestly, I like overfull. .5 quart to 1 quart max, if you see air bubbles its too much. If your trans is still working ok and you drove it easy (low rpm's, flat ground) you are probably ok.

A sudden loss of pressure causes the clutch pack that is applied to lose clamping force, which will cause it to slip a little, depending on how much air was sucked. not to mention the pump will suck air and lose lubrication.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 AM
01 sport

Any idea where a guy could pick one of those liquivacs up at? Please let me no thanks

Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I went to the LiquiVac main website and it listed that it was available at the following stores: Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply Co, Do-It-Best Hardware, Northern Tool & Equipment, and Grainger.

Stop by one of them, I'd assume it would be in the lawn equipment section as that's what it's designed for, changing lawn mower oil.

Lowes.com lists that my local store has a few. Search for "LiquiVac" and see if it's available for store pickup in your area.

-JT

Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 PM
01 sport

Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 AM
JackJ
Captain

I've done that before, only I could never get good enough suction, I ended up just using a rubber hose and the human siphon. I only had to drain about a quart though since i over filled it.

BTW trans fluid taste a lot like mil-h-83282 hyd fluid.

Quick Reply: No drain bolt on your trans pan? NO problem!!