2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the verdict is in. Previous post shows faile frictions and steels. Took transmission all the way down because I didn't just want to fix the problem I could see, but find waht caused it. Got to the OD unit, and everything was good. PUt back together and as I was preparing to put new frictions and steels in direct drum, decided to pull piston out to check it since I did not find any other problem.

The outer piston seal was installed backwards and one of the inner seals had a small nick in it. Did you notice "one of the...?" There were two thin seals installed on the inside of the piston instead of one. As I purchased this as a unit and it was put together, I did not take it apart and check it. Needless to say, I will be on the phone come Monday.

Will put trransmission back in tomorrow and give it another try!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:30 PM
gdstock
Legend

Today is slap the tranny day (as opposed to slap the bull - reference to the movie, Old Dogs). So I am shioving it back underneath and will use ratchet tie down straps to raise it up to slide the jack back under it to lift into position.

Name:  Ramtransgoingback.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  54.4 KB

Should be able to give it a spin this afternoon. If all goes well, I may take it on the road for a business trip Sunday evening - if I feel really confident. Good way to put some miles on it and get a feel for mileage and such before I install kegger mod and hemifever tune. Just gotta feel really confident. Don't want to get stranded in Austin traffic!

This is how I will lift it. Can't get truck high enough to leave tranny on jack to pull it out or put it back in. Straps seem pretty safe and stable. After I get is in I will remove original pan and reinstall Derale deep pan back on it.

Name:  dodgetranslifting.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  87.6 KB

Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM
gdstock
Legend

Got transmission back in, but made a stupid mistake. Filled with fluid and started up and suddeenly realized that I had forgotten to put new oil filter on. Shut down immediatley after about a quart of oil on floor.

Started back up and now my oil pressure looks good, the goes to 0 and check gauges light comes on. Then oil pressure reads 40, then 0. It keeps coming ang going. It sounds like oil pressure is good as I am not getting any knocking or tapping noise.

Snt sure about where oil pressure sender is located. Haynes says it is by EGR, can't find that either. Found a sender on pass side of distributor but not sure.

I was wondering if it is something that I could have damaged easily pulling and installing transmission, or pinched the wires bolting transmission up.

Any ideas?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

You won't find the egr valve on your truck. There isn't one. The sender on the pass. side of the dist is indeed the OPS.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the oil pressure sending units are pretty innacurate on these motors

Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
the oil pressure sending units are pretty innacurate on these motors

I have noticed posts related to that here, but mine has been consistent at 40, and has never dropped instantly to 0 and jumped back to 40.

I am thinking I may have pinched the wires between bell housing and engine causing signal to be grounded. gotta get my big hands back in there and follow wires. Connector is secure on sending unit.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM
gdstock
Legend

Got it! Took it for a test drive and transmission works great. Pressures on target at all ranges (MT2500) and shifts perfect!

I want to thank everyone that has offered help and suggestions, and kept me going until I got this, and espceailly MonteC and RocyMtn for their posts, threads, and information.

This has been a process by which I believe I learned a lot. When I hear the cost of a transmission rebuild, I know that although it may seem high, it is not cheap to do and it is not easy. To those transmission technicians that do this every day, my hat is off to you.

Thanks again to everyone on DF.

:icon_ woot:

Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Awesome!! Congrats Man. Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Awesome!! Congrats Man. Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?

Yeah, I do!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
mrmechanicus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge ram van 1500

i have a 1999 dodge ram van 1500 with a 46RE trans it got towed to my house after somebody else just rebuilt it. It goes into first(low) and delays going into reverse, it does not shift out of first. Any suggestions where i should start or look for?> thanks for any info
Tom ???

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Problem