2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 46RE Transmission Problem

Just picked up 99 Ram 1500, 5.2liter. I like to rebuild older vehicles and picked this one up to help out family member. More experience on older Jags, VWs and Tacomas. First Dodge.

Trans will not shift into 3rd. Also speed sensor and rear ABS error. Had PCM checked and found damaged wiring at PCM. Fixed sensor problems.

Dropped pan on trans and cound front band anchor laying in bottom. Does anyone know if new band can be installed without dropping transmission? Some scratches on drum. Should I drop trans any way and replace this also?

After this, work on body. If it is parked in my drive, it will look good also....

Thank you for any help.

Glenn

Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 AM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rebulid the tranny!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

I think there ARE "flex bands" that you can install with the trans in the truck, but, heaven only knows what other damage there is in there. Rebuilding wouldn't be such a bad plan in any event.... as these guys were notoriously weak even when new. A good rebuild, with a GOOD quality torque converter, and it will be one less thing to worry about. If money is tight, try the flex band.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think there ARE "flex bands" that you can install with the trans in the truck, but, heaven only knows what other damage there is in there. Rebuilding wouldn't be such a bad plan in any event.... as these guys were notoriously weak even when new. A good rebuild, with a GOOD quality torque converter, and it will be one less thing to worry about. If money is tight, try the flex band.

Looks like a rebuild is certainly needed as I see so manyu other post related to trans failures. So what do I need to look for to make sure I get a "Good" quality torque converter, and about how much will this add to the price. I know that the cheapes is seldom the best, but higher price is not a good indicater either. Money is not necessarily tight, but as I have three others I am working on, I certainly want to maximize the dollars, and assure that it is sone right the first time and assure longevity as much as possible.

Thank you.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Bran_gun08

When u rebluid i suggest all steel because it is stronger and i love my trans and i have all steel interals and i have a stage two shift kit and a baic converter lock-up with a 1680 stall it is a pretty good tranny

Old 07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you read this thread, every thing required for a nice heavy duty tranny, is in it. On one of the pages, MonteC gives a run down of parts.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...info-only.html

Old 07-13-2011, 04:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
If you read this thread, every thing required for a nice heavy duty tranny, is in it. On one of the pages, MonteC gives a run down of parts.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...info-only.html
Yep, on page six. I have the same list, but, I also got the part descriptions on it as well. Some of the parts are duplicate, to cover the model year changes on the trannies. If you want the one I have, just PM me your email address, and I will blast ya off a copy.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, on page six. I have the same list, but, I also got the part descriptions on it as well. Some of the parts are duplicate, to cover the model year changes on the trannies. If you want the one I have, just PM me your email address, and I will blast ya off a copy.
Post them up for an addition to the FAQ section.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 AM
thexh20
Rookie

i wld jus tighten the bands again..if problem persist..then best to rebuild..i jus rebuilt mine and i successfully hv the truck in all shifting gears.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:33 AM
gdstock
Legend

There is no gap at the ends of the band after putting the anchor back in. Anyone know where I can find spec indicating how much gap there should be? Could band be worn or stretched that much?

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Problem