2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks.
I shimmed the workpiece support to level and stabilize it. Pressed with 2 points that were the same length and it wnet right in. Couldn't wait to get snap ring installed.
After working on this most of the evening (including cutting off an old intermediate shaft for use as an alignment tool) I finally got the OD back together.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,287 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Cool. How much of an ordeal was it?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 PM
gdstock
Legend

After damaging the internal spline and filing it down twice with a jewelers file, I made sure the workpiece support was level and shimmed it so it would not wobble. Then leveled the OD unit, trans gel on splines and put a 2" cross bar from a large gear puller with 2 bolts to push on hub. It went very smoothlyon the third try.

I hope this was the harderst part of this project!

Really thankful for the responses from all of you guys. It makes it easier to know that you are all willing to share your knowledge and experience.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Default Getting back to work ---- oops!

After about two weeks of NOT working on this transmission, I am finally able to get back out to the garage.

Installed the OD assembly into case, bolted to transmission housing, and installed intermediate shaft along with planetary gears and sunshell. Changed from 4 planet set to 6 planet set, and now getting ready to install rear clutch….and now discover a problem!

The frictions for the rear clutch will not fit over the annulus gear. The splines on the outer annulus gear are somewhat smaller on the 6 gear set than the 4 gear set.

I measured both units, and this appears to be the only difference. Ands being late Saturday, living in s small town that rolls up before dark, there is nowhere to get frictions that will fit.

Attachment 14009

So my question is this – The 4 planet annulus and the 6 planet annulus both have 62 teeth inside. They appear to have the same pitch, as I can swap the planets into the other annulus gear and they rotate freely in each direction with no binding or grinding. Other than the outer splines, the annulus appear to be identical. Is this going to be as simple as swapping the annulus gear and putting it together?

Last edited by gdstock; 08-28-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You have that six pinion feller, and you have been delayed two weeks already, give it a couple more days, and get the correct clutches/steels, and go with the beefier part you paid for.

From what I read..... the gear pitch is NOT the same....... Of course, it's not like there isn't any wrong information on the web.......

Old 08-27-2011, 10:12 PM
gdstock
Legend

Good idea. Although the gears feel like they are good, I cannot be sure there isn't a slight pitch or andgel difference that may wear. I do not have any way to measure the angle of the internals.

Besides, luck NEVER favors me....and I would hate to get this bolted back in only to have to pull it again and rebuild the rebuild!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Precisely. And boy would you be pissed if even if it worked fine, that was the part that blew up next time.

Do it once, do it right, don't worry about it again.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
gdstock
Legend

And I really hate being pissed at me......

Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not like you can punch yourself out, and feel better.......

Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 PM
gdstock
Legend

So while I wait to get the new frictions to fit, onward to the Sonnax Sure Cure....lots of little ***** floating around in there!

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Problem