2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for ****s and grins, I took my valve body to Abilene last night and left it with a mechanic that has helped me. I want him to check it out and make sure I have the Sure Cure and everything correct. I figured it is work a six pack - (cause I get to help him drink it) I'll pick it up tomorrow. I just want to make sure everything is good so I don't have to pull anything back out. With any luck, I'll have it done this weekend. Will be installing a HAyden cooler on it, and start kegger mod as well, then on to my list that grows and grows.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 PM
gdstock
Legend

I get 0.000" end play, input shaft turns, but is pretty hard, and pump shaft does not turn. I installed the shim from the SureCure kit. I'm thinking it has to come back out. Anyone have any other idea?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using vice grips to turn the input shaft? It can be a bear with bare hands...
I'm definately hoping you get a more decisive answer than I did. My only difference is I did not install the sure cure shim. My pump shaft doesn't turn either. But wil vice grips my input shaft rolls nicely, along with the output shaft. Definately following what your going through. I'm almost done with the valve body. I just installed the new throttle valve, plunger, plug and purple spring. Screw it...=P Moving right along. Good luck bud. I'll let you know if I come to a conclusion. Did you have any trouble with your pump? I had to use all thread and washers and nuts to draw it down far enough for the pump bolts to thread.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:55 PM
gdstock
Legend

Pump went in easy. Trans gel around sealing surface to make sure seal didn't pull or pinch. Pulled into place with 3 bolts, then torqued them down.

I used channel locks and a rag to keep from damaging splines. Guess the greatest concern is the fact that Ihave 0" endplay. I'm thinking that this will cause excessive wear and early failure.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 PM
gdstock
Legend

Pulled shims out, put back together......

Now have 0.0345" end play. Tight end of range. Now I am ready to go back in.....Loosened the bands, and input shaft turns easier. Didn't think about that first time around. Still tight, but turns a little easier. Feeling better about it now.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM
gdstock
Legend

Got transmission back together and ready to go in. But a new problem develops as past ones are resolved. While laying trnasmission over and putting on floor, pulled hamstring. Who the heck else can get a "sports" injury rebuilding a transmission?

Guess its time to do some light work - like sweeping out the garage, knowcking down temproary bench set up for transmission, and maybe start on kegger mod. Hurts to sit, can't get up and down.......if it's not one thing it's another......getting old is a b****h!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:16 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a bummer. If I were closer I'd come help ya out. I called a shop that happened to be open but there wasn't a tech to speak with. The owner of the shop said his guys use vice grips to turn the shafts and if they turn, they install them. Basically was no help whatsoever. He said "worse case you have to pull it back out and investigate". Lol...exactly what I'm trying to avoid. So I'm just gonna forge ahead. Sorry about the injury man...

Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
gdstock
Legend
Default Almost ready...

Working on kegger mod - I can do it standing up and no lifting. It's frustrating as I wanted to get this running this weekend. Best laid plans.....

When i pulled the oil pump back uot to remove the shims, I checked outer spline. It doesn't turn. Notch on TC hu turns pump. Splines probably hold stator in TC stationary. Don't know why I forgot that. Part of the problem turning input was I had already adjusted bands. Released them, and it turns a little eeasier. Still not free spinning, but easier. Tightened bands per instructions and closed it up.

Pushed tranny over under truck and just waiting until I can move around, get up and down, and wrestle it into place.

Name:  Transmissionassempled.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  59.7 KB

Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 PM
gdstock
Legend

Drug transmission back out from under truck and installed valve body. Put pan on and a few bolts. Will be installing deep pan and filter extension after I get transmission bolted up. Now to get it back up on jack!

Completed kegger mod on spare intake and polished TB. Will be putting it on after transmission in and driven for a couple days to test it out.

Can't wait to get this back together. Hoping hamstring doesn't prevent me from working on it this weekend. Shucks - I am going to just take off on Friday to work on truck! I need a day off.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:23 PM
gdstock
Legend

I was able to get transmission under truck and up onto the jack. Should be smooth sailing form here. (just getting down on the creeper and back up seems to be the biggest challence at this point.)

Name:  dodgetranslifting.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  transonjack.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  109.9 KB

Quick Reply: 46RE Transmission Problem