2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WooHooo I failed inspection. AKA rear brake questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WooHooo I failed inspection. AKA rear brake questions.

So I failed for things I did not expect to and some I figgered I would.

Failed for loose headlights.
Parking brake does not hold.
Rear shoes all but gone.

Talking to the mechanic that did the inspection if I replace the shoes my parking brake should come back in as the shoes are down to the rivits.

I have only done work on drum brakes once and that was on a 90's cavalier so I was able to just use needle nose, with these should I go ahead and buy the special pliers to replace them, or should regular needle nose work/be just as easy.

The head lights are gunna be another issue for me as I have no idea how I am going to tighten them up. Basically the adjustment screws are no longer holding them. I gotta be able to rig them some how as I am on a real tight budget here.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

I used washers and a tiny dab of JB weld to fix my headlight adjustment screws, that is until i get new ones.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Get the brake spring pliers, you will enjoy using them, as opposed to having springs bite you.

I still need new headlights too.....

Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Hey HeyYou while were on the subject im at 203K and have NEVER looked at my drums/shoes. My parking brake does well, but Since i just completely replaced the front brake assembly, can I buy drum and shoes already assembled and just put em on simple as pie like the front????

Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

shoes don't anchor to the drums on the rear, not that easy, sorry.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:08 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Oh well, Why would the engineers make it easy for the service people :P

Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheycallmeLaramie
Oh well, Why would the engineers make it easy for the service people :P
My theory is: Engineers HATE mechanics. How else do you explain some of the stupid stuff you see on vehicles? I have fond memories of opening the hood of my small car, and actually being able to SEE the motor...... not a bag o' snakes of lines, wires, and hoses, with plastic covers.... Ah, the good ol' days.

And yeah, gotta do the jigsaw puzzle on the rears. You should get hardware kits too. Comes with all new springs, nails, retainers, and such. They are cheap, and well worth the money.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:19 PM
JackJ
Captain

Now I am wondering if I should just renew my CA registration, I would have done it before I left but the whole budget crap screwed me over. Darn July expiration date. If I were still in CA I would be good until September, but I really dont want to tray and explain that one to the cops.

ME: "I swear officer it is still good, CA is just so broke they decided to extend me till Sept"
Po-Po: "Sure buddy, now lean over here and kiss me with that purdy mouth"
Me: "I'm tellin the truth, see, right here on the website it says so"
Po-Po: /puckers up.
Me: /squeals tyres
Po-Po: ensues pursuit.
Me: /gets raped in prison by cop.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My theory is: Engineers HATE mechanics. How else do you explain some of the stupid stuff you see on vehicles? I have fond memories of opening the hood of my small car, and actually being able to SEE the motor...... not a bag o' snakes of lines, wires, and hoses, with plastic covers.... Ah, the good ol' days.

And yeah, gotta do the jigsaw puzzle on the rears. You should get hardware kits too. Comes with all new springs, nails, retainers, and such. They are cheap, and well worth the money.

Oh I know that, was an aircraft mechanic for the last 8 years. I believe that engineers design from the inside out. The other thing I hate is all the pictures of people in tech manuals are always smiling or have a smug *** look on their face, I wanna round house those books when ever I see that.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by JackJ
Oh I know that, was an aircraft mechanic for the last 8 years. I believe that engineers design from the inside out. The other thing I hate is all the pictures of people in tech manuals are always smiling or have a smug *** look on their face, I wanna round house those books when ever I see that.
If they captioned those pics with what the guy was thinking, it would read something like:

Ha Ha Mother F****er, I can make this look as easy as cake here in the manual, but, when you are working on one of these that has been on the road for ten years, you too will be cursing every engineer you have never met.

cars are designed by committee. Everyone gets their part to design. The engineers in various groups dislike the engineers in previous groups, so, purposely make it so you have to take off their parts, before you can work on the part you REALLY want to get to....... I swear part of engineering school has to include a bachelors course in "How to annoy mechanics."

Quick Reply: WooHooo I failed inspection. AKA rear brake questions.