2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Maybe a couple of probems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 AM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After it shuts off on its own, have you tried giving it a little gas (mashing the gas pedal) when you try to crank it? I dunno, the gauges not moving is odd.... How old is the battery, connections clean and tight?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
mopar56

yes i have tried tro give it gas as i am trying to start it, and i have had the battery checked twice at the parts store they say its all good. would my truck have one of those safety deals on them that would shut it down?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 PM
jswain
Veteran

Not that I'm aware of, other than the deal that shuts off the fuel pump in case of a rollover. Could try crank position sensor as others have suggested. The only other thing that sounds logical is a badly failed 02 sensor...maybe. I believe I'd try to get it to someone with a scanner so you can see what's going on when it acts up. I'll admit I'm just guessing at this point..

Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar56
yes i have tried tro give it gas as i am trying to start it, and i have had the battery checked twice at the parts store they say its all good. would my truck have one of those safety deals on them that would shut it down?

These trucks have ASD relay. Look at PDC and swap the ASD relay for another relay and see if that corrects the problem - and causes something else to go screwy (whatever you moved the relay to).

Also, when it shuts down, that is when you need to check for spark - and fuel, etc. If all else fails, when it does it again, see if you can jump it off. The only good battery test is a load pile on a fully charged battery, which in th process, sucks power down, usually requireing another charge (I use 500 amp load).

Old 11-13-2011, 02:19 PM
mopar56

Ok today I just notice that when I was checking termostat that all hoses were hot except the one coming from the bottom of the water pump. could this be the water pump going bad?

Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,286 Likes on 3,033 Posts

The one on the bottom of the water pump is the inlet side, and it should be cooler than the rest.

Quick Reply: Maybe a couple of probems