2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Backspacing and clearance questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by pope
Is there a reason you say this?
In most places, speed limit is at most 70mph. You are driving a truck that weighs in somewhere between 5, and 6 thousand pounds..... that's a lotta mass for that kind of speed. It isn't going to do anything quickly. (change speed OR direction)

Not to mention that, power requirements for running 85 mph, are SIGNIFICANTLY more than just the 15 mph speed difference would make you think. These trucks are almost as aerodynamic as a brick. Wind resistance plays a pretty good role here. You could probably pick up 2-3 mpg just by going a bit slower.

Also, look at the math. 250 miles at 85 MPH AVERAGE (which in the real world, just won't happen) takes about 176.5 minutes. 214.3 minutes. A difference of about 38 minutes. But, that's only if you AVERAGE those speeds..... considering parts of your trip are going to be a lower speeds, the time difference is actually going to be less than the 38 minutes. Now, what is it costing you to save that half hour? Especially if you get a ticket.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
pope
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I see your point. And no its not a constant 85 MPH. Not trying to be argumentive here, but I know I end up in the 85 range many times following regular traffic on this trip and would like to know my engine will be running in a safe RPM range.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey0469
4.56 gears and 35 inch tires is the best combination for running stock rpm for any given speed on these dodges. youll find your transmission downshifting all the time with anything less, especially if you'll be towing with it.
ditto at 70mph with this combo I'm under 2,000 rpm and my speedo is correct with this setup too..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-30-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by pope
Ok I see your point. And no its not a constant 85 MPH. Not trying to be argumentive here, but I know I end up in the 85 range many times following regular traffic on this trip and would like to know my engine will be running in a safe RPM range.
Anything below redline is 'safe'. As R's go up though, so does fuel consumption. As speed goes up, so does the amount of power required to maintain that speed.

Not sure where you are from, but, yeah.... when I was in Cleveland, speed limit on the loop was 55, most folks were doing 80 any way...... So, keeping up with traffic and NOT being the slowest vehicle on the road isn't a bad plan. Just watch for the boys in blue. (or brown, or, whatever the color of choice is for the local constabulary.)

Quick Reply: Backspacing and clearance questions?