2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vacuum leak @ hvac controls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I am not entirely sure exactly WHERE it is.... yours is actually cable operated..... and it may be on top of the heater box. In which case, you almost need to pull the dash to get to it.

That said, that ONLY controls the temp of the air, that's it.

One line at the control head is source vacuum. That one will have vacuum as long as the engine is running. (and a few seconds after you shut it down.)

If you have a vacuum pump, you could apply vacuum to the other lines, and ensure that the vents switch. If it works that way, but, not when hooked up.... you just found your problem. If you don't have a vacuum pump, just use a couple short pieces of the stiff plastic line, and a section of flexible line, and make a 'jumper' for the vacuum. Plug one end in to the source line, and the poke the other end into the various other ports. Gotta have the fan runnin' to see where the air is comin' from though.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you good sir I will try that.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 PM
emattern06
Rookie

There's probably a broken vaccum line on the passenger side by the firewall near the compressor I had the same problem just use a piece of 1/8 hose

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
emattern06
Rookie

Oh I though you said defrost vents nvm

Old 12-10-2011, 08:18 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Heyyou...&all who are here Ive done some more trouble shooting&this is what Ive discoverd if I pull the yellow vac line which is not pukking vac off of the actuator for the face vents&put another vac line to the actuator itll work.I just orderd a vacuum pump so Im waiting for that&in the mean time while Im gonna go ahead&replace the vacuum harness&check valve&see if that works before I replace the control assembly....now Ive been looking for a write up in how to change it anybody got a link?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Ouch.... I don't know if you can do that without pulling the dash....... I would be far more tempted to wait for the vacuum pump, and test the harness before condemning it.

Quick Reply: vacuum leak @ hvac controls?