2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

About to install a set of Gibson Shorty's, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beat you to the punch Captain! Post #3. That was a great write up and will be useful when I install my JBA's.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first installed my headers I had a bit of trouble with tightening the bolts because of clearance issues. Then I got an idea for a wrench that I've seen before but couldn't find the right size in the store (they were all too small).
Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I modified a wrench and anyone that is thinking of getting shorty headers should do this to a wrench because it made things so much easier.

If you're going to modify a wrench yourself then either wear a gas mask while you do it or hold your breath, weld quickly, get away then breath. When you weld chrome vanadium it puts off toxic fumes.
With that wrench it was actually pretty easy to take that header off and put it back on. If you look at the picture you'll see where I bent the closed end a little past flat and it's pretty obvious what I did to the open end.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
Beat you to the punch Captain! Post #3. That was a great write up and will be useful when I install my JBA's.
OOPS! Sorry I missed that. I feel good now. It "wasn't well written enough to get placed in the DIY section" so it made me a little happy to see someone used it as a DIY!

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
It "wasn't well written enough to get placed in the DIY section" so it made me a little happy to see someone used it as a DIY!

Thanks!
Yeah, that sucks. Any time I want to look it up, I have to Google it because our search feature SUCKS!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 AM
sparechange
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the gibson shorty ceramic coated for about 3 years, left the studs in and have had no problems.....I did have to tighten them back up after a few heat cycles though

Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 AM
FC3S Murray

Well i had a ****ty day.

I spent all day friday prepping and high temp powder coating the headers.

Woke up this morning and installed: took about 4 hours. Started truck up and the driverside was leaking out of what i thought was the 2 middle runners.

So i took off the driver side, got a better gasket, some newer nuts since i kept the studs in and re attempted the installation.

Fought that for about 2 hours. Started it up...same leak. Pissed off I deLt with the hot gas and put my hands where i could fell the exhaust gas leaking. It was coming from the start of the header runner collector.

Took that header off again. Got in there with my borescope AND....welds around 2 runners are cracked

I am very pissed off. Wasted a whole day not to mention put the kids on my wife all day. Now i have to reinstall the factory headers and get a hold of the guy who sold me this ****.

Thats what i get for doing craigslist. Ughhhhh

Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Take 'em to a muffler shop and have them welded up. Shouldn't be more than a couple bucks.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 AM
J415
Champion

If not, I'm sure someone on this forum would buy them from you. Just a thought.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:19 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gibson headers have a limited life time warranty, I would contact them and see what they have to say. You might get an new set out of them. You might need the org receipt if you can't get one from the guy that sold them to you pm me.

Gibson Performance Customer Service Department for a Return Authorization Number at (800) 528-3044.

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-11-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by FC3S Murray
I picked up a set for 160.00 so I figured what the heck. They are in great shape just the paint coating burned off. I have a powder coating machine at work so I am gonna coat them in HOTCOAT High Temp Silver.

I have researched and the install is said to be a bitch. The instructions say you have to remove the 2 exhaust studs in the head....this correct? I am basicaly looking for any tips from people who have installed them before. I am not worried about it being tough, I just know if I can avoid a headache, by all means fill me in

Gaskets with copper RTV or not?
Any particular gasket brand recommended?
Should I replace the y-pipe to header donut gasket too?

I have a 2001 1500 5.9L. Truck runs great and has little mods: Custom AEM intake, SCT hemifever 91 octane tune, Super 44 Flowmaster. I figured these would be nice snce they bolt right up. I had a chance at many cheap pacesetter shorties BUT I couldnt turn these down since they averaged a bit more in price used and seem better qaulity(guess there).

I also dont have any hardware(bolts) with the headers. Anyone know what 5/16'' thread pitch AND length bolt I should buy. The instructions I downloaded from Gibson's website said they came with 1" long 5/16" bolts....I think that would be too short given the 3/8" thick flange and washers on top of it all, doesnt leave much treads into the head.

Thanks for the help guys.....hope I feel a power difference.
For your bolts I would recommend stage 8 locking header bolts. Thats what I used when I bought my pacesetters used with no hardware.

As for power boost, I have similar mods and really didnt feel a boost untill I install a larger tb.

That sucks about the cracked collector tube, it shouldnt be that much to have a shop to prep and weld the area, even then you probably saved alot compared to buying them new.

Quick Reply: About to install a set of Gibson Shorty's, any tips?