2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing oil pan gasket

Am I ****ed?... i recently changed my timing chain gasket and when i removed the cover i seen that my oil pan gasket was ripped a little. than yesterday when i was gutting my cat i seen that there was quite a bit of build up on the front side of the tranny not only was there build up but there was fresh oil as well. so im betting the back side of the oil pan has another blown gasket. i read the 2001 manual and it says you need to remove the transfer case and the tranny just to replace this gasket is this true??? its a 2001 service manual but i have a 98 i heard the manual would still do. im just really hoping i dont have to or theres a way around removing the transfer case and tranny to change my oil pan gasket???

Old 12-04-2011, 09:33 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to drop tranny or transfer case. You will need to pull off the sheet metal cover from the front of tranny that covers torque converter as it interferes with oil pan I believe. Pan should unbolt and drop out.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Terribly
Rookie

Im pretty sure gdstock is right but I think Ive seen a DIY or post on here for doing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Try a search. Not to sound like the admins lol

Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Does any one have a DIY? Iys kunda hatd to look under the truck and manually look to seep what needs to come off cuz its all black and built up gunk

Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Lol I tryed the search

Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
gdstock
Legend

Try this one. It is changing the oil pump, but covers pan removal.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-oil-pump.html

Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Terribly
Rookie

Ok so you're gonna think Im smokin the good stuff since this is on a totally different forum but I swear it was posted on another oil pan question on this forum lol
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-31.html

This should answer your question

Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Ok so I ready the thread and I do know from looking ay my truck the matys tre mentioned need to come off but what the dust plate the chear metal plate u wete taking bout GDstock? And how do I removed it

Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
Ok so I ready the thread and I do know from looking ay my truck the matys tre mentioned need to come off but what the dust plate the chear metal plate u wete taking bout GDstock? And how do I removed it
Once you take the two braces off and the starter, the place has 3 or 4 screws. I think they have a 7/16" head on them. this is pretty easy on these trucks for waht I have read. I bought a gasket for mine, but did not se any signs of leaking so I have not installed it yet. Too much other stuff to do right now.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:59 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

sorry bout that last message i was using dodge mobile any ways by looking at my truck i can tell i have to remove the support bars after looking at both threads the front dust cover for tranny is what i thought it was. so now im just going to research it some more and give it a go asap. any tips or heads up are highly apprectiated

Quick Reply: changing oil pan gasket