2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clear understanding of overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011 | 05:28 PM
SweetTooth
|
Rookie
Default Clear understanding of overdrive?

Can someone clearly explain the overdrive to me?
I know it unlocks all the gears.

When I start my truck, there is no light. So does that indicate that overdrive is Off?
When I press the button, it'll turn orange.

When I have the button pressed, my truck runs like new, it has 100% response, no hesitation. But when the light is not on. The truck is just hell.

I plan on repairing plenum, cat, ect.. But I'm just here to get an understanding of it

Old 12-18-2011 | 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The button is for Overdrive OFF. So, when the light is on, that means overdrive is disabled.

Overdrive leaves the main part of the trans in third gear. (1:1 drive ratio) The O/D unit is 'tacked on' to the rear of the trans, and is just another planetary gearset, that provide a .69:1 overdrive. (1 driveshaft revolution, for each .69 rev of the engine.)

Old 12-18-2011 | 05:39 PM
SweetTooth
|
Rookie

Hmm, so it is not safe to drive with OD off without towing, ect..?

Old 12-18-2011 | 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You don't have to use overdrive if you don't want to. If you are just cruising about town, you are prolly better off with it off. On the freeway and such, unloaded, you get better fuel economy in O/D, aside from that, no other reason to run it.

I think there is even a DIY in the FAQ section to have the system default to overdrive OFF when you start the truck.... push the button to turn it On.

Old 12-18-2011 | 05:49 PM
SweetTooth
|
Rookie

I've yet to find a "better fuel economy" for a dodge.

I just thought driving with the OD off while you're going on the highway 70+ would be bad for the trans or something.

My truck is bad at trying to pass vehicles, so when I press that button, it gets up and goes quick. OD on.. is another story. Slllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwww.

Old 12-18-2011 | 05:55 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
I've yet to find a "better fuel economy" for a dodge.

I just thought driving with the OD off while you're going on the highway 70+ would be bad for the trans or something.

My truck is bad at trying to pass vehicles, so when I press that button, it gets up and goes quick. OD on.. is another story. Slllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwww.
Generally you can get better mileage when running lower speeds with overdrive OFF. Just remember when you turn overdrive OFF you are locking out 4th gear (the OD gear)

My truck too is a lot more responsive with OD off, I'm sure that's just the nature of the beast.

Old 12-18-2011 | 05:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

if you're driving at 65-70 mph and unloaded, you should turn OD on (light off) for better mpg.

if you're driving under 60, either is fine, but as you said, the truck is a pig with OD on, so you'll be happier with OD off (light on).

when towing or heavily loaded. ALWAYS turn OD off (light on). if the truck is a pig when unloaded, then its a bigger pig when loaded.

Old 12-18-2011 | 06:04 PM
SweetTooth
|
Rookie

I had about 1,000 pounds yesterday, carpet, generator, tools. Turned OD off and the truck had a bunch of power. It's always been real sluggish, slow with OD on. I'll be repairing a lot in the future, so hopefully that'll help everything. Not like I care about MPG anymore. I can only get about 350-400 miles a tank. "That's non stop, town to town"

I get about 250 a tank "Highway, street"

Thank you everyone.

Old 12-18-2011 | 06:57 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

overdrive it the highest gear so of course your truck will act sluggish because the engine has a harder load to push the higher the gear ratio you go.... but the lower you go the higher the rpm's and higher the fuel consumption... it you have bigger tires than stock an never changed your diff gears than you've already moved all your gears up a little higher which works the engine and tranny harder and makes things sluggish... 3rd gear actually becomes a bit of an overdrive in this case...
think of it like a mountain bike with overdrive using the biggest sprocket in the front and smallest at the rear wheel.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-18-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2011 | 08:56 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
I had about 1,000 pounds yesterday, carpet, generator, tools. Turned OD off and the truck had a bunch of power. It's always been real sluggish, slow with OD on. I'll be repairing a lot in the future, so hopefully that'll help everything. Not like I care about MPG anymore. I can only get about 350-400 miles a tank. "That's non stop, town to town"

I get about 250 a tank "Highway, street"

Thank you everyone.

You may also want to check the adjustment on the TV cable. If it is not adjusted correctly, the transmission will not kick down like you need when passing.

Quick Reply: Clear understanding of overdrive?