2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Front Ends

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 PM
EvanBoothe123
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Front Ends

Is it just me or do Dodge's 2nd Gen's front ends suck ***. I recently replaced everything on my front end because everything was either bad or lose. I recently lifted my truck also. I have noise in my front end once again. Question is, could this be from the control arms? Since they are now pretty much maxed out? Also, could it be because I have stock length shocks on there? Or could it just be because of the coil spacers? I have no idea maybe I didn't tighten the traction bar enough when I put the front end back together after putting the lift on. I am not sure. But I would love to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm, not much to go on to track the noise down. Get a buddy to help locate it better. Lots of components there that can contribute.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than neglect and wear when I bought the truck, which I promptly remedied, my front end now works great with no noise, no slop, and no problems. Modifying the design by lifting kind of removes the responsibility from "Dodge's 2nd Gen's front ends suck ***"....... imho.......

Noise could be coming from a number of places. Is it suspension realted or drive related? Gringing, rubbing, squeaking, or popping? Did you relace bushinigs on suspension as well?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
EvanBoothe123
Professional

I replaced all tie rods and yor rod end and a new trac bar. I didn't replace control arms or the bushings in them

Old 12-19-2011, 03:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

What noise are you hearing, and when do you hear it?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
EvanBoothe123
Professional

When I hit any type of bump going down the road. I don't know how to explain the noise... Idk it just sounds like something is moving without a bushing inside it it's like a thud, thud, kind of noise. Its hard to explain I wonder if I could record it..

Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at control arms and all bnushings on all of the suspension parts. Also check to make sure you aren't banging the shocks at the end of the stroke, as well as shock bushings.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM
EvanBoothe123
Professional

I would not be surprised if it was the control arms. Because the bushings look shot and whenever the axle moves up that's when I hear a thud then when it drops back down I hear another.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
EvanBoothe123
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Take a look at control arms and all bnushings on all of the suspension parts. Also check to make sure you aren't banging the shocks at the end of the stroke, as well as shock bushings.
Why do you mean banging?? Explain that please.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanBoothe123
I recently lifted my truck also. Or could it just be because of the coil spacers?
I replaced all tie rods and yor rod end and a new trac bar. I didn't replace control arms or the bushings in them
When I hit any type of bump going down the road. I don't know how to explain the noise... Idk it just sounds like something is moving without a bushing inside it it's like a thud, thud, kind of noise. Its hard to explain I wonder if I could record it..
Did you put everything to proper torque specs? Especially the track bar. How much was the lift and my what means (e.g, spacer, suspension lift)? The assumption is that you have the right length of track bar for the lift. They change if > 3" of lift, which also modifies other components like pitman arm. What track bar is it anyways?

Find an actual speed bump as a better test of environment.

ps. also visually inspect your sway bar...

Quick Reply: Dodge Front Ends