2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual to power window/lock conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM
tatitup8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BangMx;2675034]
Originally Posted by romadramowner
BangMx,

Did the harness on the door reach all the way to the main harness and/or fuse box?[/QUOTE

When you open the door there should be a going into the cab. There also should be 2 plugs just inside the hole in the cab. You would plug the door harness right into that.
if your truck didn't come prewired for Power locks n windows.. your gonna need these too out of the donor truck. the whole door boot with the harnesses in them.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
romadramowner
Professional

Cool. When i get back to SC I will start my donor search. I had a 1995 donor with a CTD but like a moron i passed on the deal...

More to follow once i get home.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Hjhf1500
Amateur

The dash harness should be pre-wired for power windows and locks,the harness plugs should be on the left and right sides of the dash behind the kick panels.If you have factory speakers in your doors now they should be plugged into those.Your donor door harnesses should already have those in addition to the power accessories you're installing.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 AM
romadramowner
Professional

Thanks brother. I will update when I get home.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
jbbarkley
Default Power window and lock conversion

Hey guys...how did your swap end? I have two new doors, came from the factory with locks and windows, with both harnesses and connectors. Is my truck, a 2002 (old body style) that originally came with manual windows and locks, prewired to accept both connectors, or do I need additional harnesses for the left and right sides?
Thanks for your time

Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Take a look under the dash, and see if the connectors are just hanging out under there somewhere.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
RafaelA.
Default Manual to power window conversion

Originally Posted by BangMx
I did it. You will need the wiring harness for inside the door. The bolt hole locations are different between manual and auto but there should be holes for both already in the door. The interior panels are different between the two also.
Hi there firend, I got all the wiring harness inside the doors into the cab. How do I supply power to make it work? Heeeeeelp! Thanks much...Rafael.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
RafaelA.

Hi there friend, I have all the door harness in place power lock actuators and such. Now, how do I get or how do you got to power them? Please advise! Can use all the help I can get! Thanks much...Rafael.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:01 AM
Ray Coker
Default Doing the same

So my story is a little different i had a 1998 dodge ram 1500 extended cab with the 5.9 liter engine and i blew a piston arm coming back home one day, it continued to run the last 30 miles home just very loudly it still starts by the way. After months of searching for a replacement engine i gave up, the cost of the 5.9 liter was 3 times what i paid for the truck. A friend had a 2000 dodge ram reg cab that he was too lazy to put tires on and a new battery so he gave it to me as a donor truck, however it has a 5.2 liter engine instead of the 5.9 liter and i shortly there after ruptured the bicept tendon in my right arm making it impossible to pull the engine (one armed) on my own and do the transfer so i decided to use the donor truck as my new truck and replace what i could from my old truck to get this one back on the road. So far so good the problem is the door panels were cut into to install after market speakers and who ever did it did a crapy job cutting in 8 inch round holes instead of oval to fit the pioneer speakers they put in, I mean it looks like it was done my a 16 year old trashing his first ride, so i figured i would steal the door panels locks ect from my old truck. New truck is manual every thing old truck is auto everything no big deal i pulled everything from passenger door harness window assembly auto locks everything and put on new truck now when i shut the door i have a 1/2 inch gap between door and it closing. The other issue is apparently the new truck wasn't wired under the dash to take electric any thing the into cab connector only has one end and its the wrong end for anything other then a 2 wire speaker. So my question is can i upgrade the door (im not sure what its called) but the part that latches when the door closes to take the motor from the other assembly or would it be easier to just move the latch back 1/2 inch and re drill new mount holes. Second, from where the harness comes into the cab from the door there are two plugs on the harness but the cab side has only 1 plug and it doesn't fit the other harness can i pull the harness in the cab without taking the dash out or do i need to remove the dash on both to get harness run on new truck. Of coarse that brings up new questions, are the fuse and relay boxes the same and will my keychain thingy that locks and unlocks the door still work or is there something else i have to remove and transfer. Im pulling the dash cap on new truck so i can repair the cracks and wrap it in carbon fiber(at least the top) as carbon fiber only cost me $89 for enough to wrap top with the risen and hardener and a new dash cap that will most likely crack in a few years cost over $250, besides carbon fiber looks cool and is durable. Any help would be appreciated! By the way the old truck has a new transmission with less then 6000 miles on it and everything uder the hood except the engine is in great condition Compressor, starter, alternator, belts , hoses ec and the body only has a few small dents except for tail gate which looks like some body dropped a steal beam on it too hard bent it downward a bit and the front bumper is bent inward in the middle dash like all dodges it completely shattered and in pieces but power seats back seat are in great condition if you live in or around central Texas and you want it when im done stripping doors and are willing to come pick it up you can have it if not its going to the junk yard if you want pics of it email me at Tidus350@gmail.com with a subject line of your old dodge and ill send all the pics you want.

Last edited by Ray Coker; 09-27-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual to power window/lock conversion