2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no fog lights new radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a wire for the dash lights to come on with the lights as well as aftermarket radio brightness...I have installed a couple aftermarket head units in my ram without this being an issue. you must have just mis read the wiring schematics.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
There is a wire for the dash lights to come on with the lights as well as aftermarket radio brightness...I have installed a couple aftermarket head units in my ram without this being an issue. you must have just mis read the wiring schematics.
No offense, but i highly doubt that. Not that i couldnt make a mistake, but it was fairly simple just connected harness and power cords than ran my 12' kicker to one of the rear speakers. Now as for this orange cable its actually the cable from the truck. apperently my pioneer doesnt have the illumination wire. if you trace the orange cable from the truck to the factory harness it goes in the 3rd peg of the harness (factory harness) than trace that wire to the third peg of the walmart crystler harness. now out of the crystler generic harness it goes nowhere opened end. this is where if the radio had an illumination wire it go to however the radio has no illumination wire. with the orange cable coming out the truck through both harnesses its just exposed wich gives me no dash lights so i put it to the red 12v battery and my dash now comes on whenever the key is turned.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

i dont mind my dash coming on during the day. im just wondering if that CONSTANT CONNECTION TO POWER IS WHY MY FOG LIGHTS DONT WORK?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
No offense, but i highly doubt that. Not that i couldnt make a mistake, but it was fairly simple just connected harness and power cords than ran my 12' kicker to one of the rear speakers. Now as for this orange cable its actually the cable from the truck. apperently my pioneer doesnt have the illumination wire. if you trace the orange cable from the truck to the factory harness it goes in the 3rd peg of the harness (factory harness) than trace that wire to the third peg of the walmart crystler harness. now out of the crystler generic harness it goes nowhere opened end. this is where if the radio had an illumination wire it go to however the radio has no illumination wire. with the orange cable coming out the truck through both harnesses its just exposed wich gives me no dash lights so i put it to the red 12v battery and my dash now comes on whenever the key is turned.
None taken, let me explain things better.
You should have an orange and white wire thats connected to your dimmer switch.(which controls interior dash lighting as well as the rest). unless you have some sort of very old radio these should be no other "illumination wire needed" this is why newer aftermarket car stereos dont have them...they do however often have the dimmer wire which LOWERS the brightness at night and allows adjustability with the rest of the interior dash lights when you turn the dash lights on. if your pioneer has no dimmer wire (it really should) than dont hook the orange/white wire to anything just tape it off.
I have been installing stereo systems for many years.I've put them in everything from Ferrari's to chevettes. In my younger dumber days I put one in my jeep that actually blew the side windows out of the hardtop and would stall the engine at idle...Now I have little patients for kids like that..and I'm only 33! Ironic isnt it?
Either way...its easier to fix this right and see if it has any effect on your other lights... In my truck when the interior lights come on so do all the external running lights...you have to be back feeding power into the lighting system from the wrong end your way inless I'm failing to understand what you did so...

btw unless you have an external power amp running that subwoofer you wont have to worry long as is will burn out your pioneer in short order...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
NyghtProwler
Rookie

if the after market radio doesn't support the dimmer function.....the orange wire doesn't need to be hooked up......if you did hook it up to a power source....then it is feeding power back to your headlight switch......unhook the wire.....then start testing the head light switch.....

Last edited by NyghtProwler; 12-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by NyghtProwler
if the after market radio doesn't support the dimmer function.....the orange wire doesn't need to be hooked up......if you did hook it up to a power source....then it is feeding power back to your headlight switch......unhook the wire.....then start testing the head light switch.....
yup...what I just said...only simplified

Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

at break today i went out to my truck and popped the hood. i removed the fuse and inspected it. it was fine however had a little discoloration on the terminals. i then pulled the two fog lamp relays, blew them off and reiserted them. i also took a couple other relays out and visually inpected them and reinserted them as well. then i put the key in the ignition and fired it up. I pulled the **** and WALLAH!!! i have fog lights. im guessing there was a loose or bad connection (maybe relay wasnt pushed all the way down.)
anyways fog lights work. One less thing to worry bout fixing thanks for your help....
however im still a little perplexed as to this orange illumination cable.
i took video of how i have it rigged up. ill post it after work.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

theres the video of how i have the orange cable. In my truck when ever you turn the **** all the way over to the left the inside lights and all my exterior lights come on as well. I wired the orange cable so i can have the light on my dash to see how fast im driving

heres a pic of the terminal discoloration as well
Name:  fuse.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  55.6 KB

Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
at break today i went out to my truck and popped the hood. i removed the fuse and inspected it. it was fine however had a little discoloration on the terminals. i then pulled the two fog lamp relays, blew them off and reiserted them. i also took a couple other relays out and visually inpected them and reinserted them as well. then i put the key in the ignition and fired it up. I pulled the **** and WALLAH!!! i have fog lights. im guessing there was a loose or bad connection (maybe relay wasnt pushed all the way down.)
anyways fog lights work. One less thing to worry bout fixing thanks for your help....
however im still a little perplexed as to this orange illumination cable.
i took video of how i have it rigged up. ill post it after work.
the orange/white wire is supposed to feed power INTO the stereo either which controls the brightness of the radio WHEN the interior lights are on (it only takes over light control when the lights are on)... if you dont wire it up the stereo still lights up, it just stays at full brightness all the time making it too bright for many peoples liking at night.
If you have 12v power going TO the orange wire then you are sending power backwards to the lights (jumping them) and bypassing the switch because that wire is directly wired to the other lights in the cab....it supplys the same voltage as the other lights get WHEN those lights are turned on with the interior switch...if you turn the brightness all the way up you get close to 12v...it drops as you turn the lights down.

And I wasnt being a smartass about running a subwoofer off the car stereos built in amp.... google it. It will overheat and overload the amp in the stereo and cook it rather quick. they are not designed to push the amount of power required to properly drive the higher wattage subs. Anyone who does this professionally will tell you its a big NO NO

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-28-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No comment on the first pic, but replace the fuse with new. And any other fuses or relays that look like that.

Quick Reply: no fog lights new radio?