2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no fog lights new radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no fog lights new radio?

so I'm still working on the vacuum leak. I have to take a look at the dash (removal), been busy with the holidays. Also its end of month really busy at work. Any ways... (lets see if I can get my spelling right this time

when i bought my truck, the fog lights worked. I don't know at what point they went out. However since then i know two things that may have caused it happened. However i need some help fixing it. first off i checked the fuses and changed the light bulbs, still nothing.

A) i took out the tape player that came with the truck. I put in a pioneer radio, using a generic harness from walmart. There was one wire left that didnt get attached the illumination wire. i realized in when driving i had no dash lights. so i put that wire straight to red power lead. now when ever i turn the key my dash lights up.
B) also one day i came out to my truck and my little girl had my light **** in her hand. i put it back in. i tried to mimic that but it wouldnt pull out again. now from time to time when i pull the **** it will pop out and ill have to put it back in to turn my lights on.
with my truck to get the fog lights on i used to have to pull the **** half way and just the fog lights would come on than if i did it the full way they would be on with the head lights.
if im not mistaken ive heard of not being able to have high beams on with fog lamps. so if i hard wired them into the power lead from the radio. would our trucks shut something down in a sense as to not allow the fog lamps to come on at all? (keeping in mind that the illumination wire also has the dash lights on when ever the key is turned)
i would check this theory however i dont have the stock radio anymore....
what do you guys think???

Last edited by BigBlue83; 12-27-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Have you checked the relay for the foglights yet? That could be your problem

Old 12-27-2011, 10:28 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Have you checked the relay for the foglights yet? That could be your problem
yes i have

Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Well if you switched it out and it still doesn't work then you should start looking elsewhere. Double check the wiring for your radio. Dash lights shouldn't be on without the light switch turned on

Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Well if you switched it out and it still doesn't work then you should start looking elsewhere. Double check the wiring for your radio. Dash lights shouldn't be on without the light switch turned on
the dash lights come on because the illumination is wired straight to the radio power lead

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at wiring diagram for radio wiring and see where the radio illumination should be connected. Should be tied to lights on isntrument panel. And may have to get new light switch from JY.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Its been 2 years since I did my radio so im not really remembering where all wires get hooked up to. Id almost have to look at mine to help ya cause I can't remember well enough to be sure. But the headlight switch can probably be found at a JY or an auto parts store should be able to get it.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Orange illumination only gets hooked up to the illumination wire coming from the factory harness. Otherwise leave it disconnected.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

98's have 2 fog light relays IIRC.
Just throwing that out there.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

your right it is the orange one, however if i just leave it not hooked up i wont have dash lights to see my speedometer.
I will check the relays maybe thats what im missing the second relay. ill check it at break

Quick Reply: no fog lights new radio?