2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no fog lights new radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:06 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
the orange/white wire is supposed to feed power INTO the stereo either which controls the brightness of the radio WHEN the interior lights are on (it only takes over light control when the lights are on)... if you dont wire it up the stereo still lights up, it just stays at full brightness all the time making it too bright for many peoples liking at night.
If you have 12v power going TO the orange wire then you are sending power backwards to the lights (jumping them) and bypassing the switch because that wire is directly wired to the other lights in the cab....it supplys the same voltage as the other lights get WHEN those lights are turned on with the interior switch...if you turn the brightness all the way up you get close to 12v...it drops as you turn the lights down.

And I wasnt being a smartass about running a subwoofer off the car stereos built in amp.... google it. It will overheat and overload the amp in the stereo and cook it rather quick. they are not designed to push the amount of power required to properly drive the higher wattage subs. Anyone who does this professionally will tell you its a big NO NO
ok so ill disconnect the orange wire (there is no orange white its just orange.) and see if maybe i was mistaken and my dash lights do work.
as far as the box goes theres a fuse on the back of the radio wouldnt that blow before the radio? i plan on getting an amp however right now my moneys going to mechanical fixes first. besides it just a **** radio that allows me the aux. and to play cd's the factory radio only had a tape player. thanks for the heads up on the possible frying of the radiuo though

Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

WTF BATMAN!!! after my drive to work today i parked facing the wall of the building and pushed my **** half way, and there was no flipping fog lights. I lost them again. I popped the hood and wiggled the relay and tryed to push it in more. (maybe going over a bumP loosened it.) NOPE! so any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
WTF BATMAN!!! after my drive to work today i parked facing the wall of the building and pushed my **** half way, and there was no flipping fog lights. I lost them again. I popped the hood and wiggled the relay and tryed to push it in more. (maybe going over a bumP loosened it.) NOPE! so any suggestions?
Yeah, Remove the orange jumperwire backfeeding power into the circuit from the wrong end....then troubleshoot. if you really have no lights inside after disconnecting it than your switch may be on its way out.... you might have even fried it by feeding it power at the wrong end at this point. Or maybe youll get lucky and contact cleaner will fix it.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-29-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Yeah, Remove the orange jumperwire backfeeding power into the circuit from the wrong end....then troubleshoot. if you really have no lights inside after disconnecting it than your switch may be on its way out.... you might have even fried it by feeding it power at the wrong end at this point. Or maybe youll get lucky and contact cleaner will fix it.
ok ill do this at break as far as the switch and cleaner how would I access it? And what would I do to clean it

Old 12-31-2011, 01:20 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Thursday i disconnected the orange cable and when i went to leave work at 630 had no lights to see my speedometer. for what its worth if anything the CEL (missing a o2 sensor) is on and the abs light and all those other warning lights flash on and off when starting the truck. I dont know if its all connected to the same harness and if it makes a difference. So next is to start eliminating what could be the problem. It was suggested that i clean the switch. are you talking about the switch to turn the lights on? if not where is the switch? i could always try to trace the wire but that seams like a flipping pain.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
Thursday i disconnected the orange cable and when i went to leave work at 630 had no lights to see my speedometer. for what its worth if anything the CEL (missing a o2 sensor) is on and the abs light and all those other warning lights flash on and off when starting the truck. I dont know if its all connected to the same harness and if it makes a difference. So next is to start eliminating what could be the problem. It was suggested that i clean the switch. are you talking about the switch to turn the lights on? if not where is the switch? i could always try to trace the wire but that seams like a flipping pain.
yes headlight switch...on my ram its a pull switch and pulling it halfway out turns on the interior lights....and turning it raises or lowers the brightness... not sure if they changed it on later rams.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

HUH? a light for missing an o2 sensor?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
HUH? a light for missing an o2 sensor?
no... because his interior lights dont work unless he hooks up the dimmer control wire thats supposed to control radio brightness to the 12v acc power...

Old 12-31-2011, 02:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

no... because his interior lights dont work unless he hooks up the dimmer control wire thats supposed to control radio brightness to the 12v acc power...

I know, you cant hear my tone of voice along with that question. LOL

Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

thanks for your help by the way. my truck is the same for lights but even if pulled half or full it doesnt elluminate the dash. So i will pull the dash and take a look at what i have to do to get in there and clean the switch

Quick Reply: no fog lights new radio?