2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Pump Check Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:50 PM
tommyis3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Check Valve

Well it seems like my Fuel Pump Check Valve has gone, one day the truck started first time every time, now it takes an extended time or 2 or 3 ignition turns to get her started, I did the test with a fuel pump pressure tester and it lost pressure within a short while, no leaking from injectors or anywhere else, I can live with this for a while as money is tight at the moment.

So a couple of questions:
1) Rough idea how long it will last like this?
2) Has anyone installed one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A30DGJTMHYAU9C with success or is that a really bad idea?
3) Drop the tank, remove the bed or cut a hole in the bed to replace the pump?

Thanks..

Old 01-04-2012, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

It will continue to run like that till the pump dies. Could be next week, could be next decade. If your fuel pressure is still where it should be, this is one of those repairs that you don't ever have to do, if ya don't wanna.

I think the check valve is actually in the regulator/filter assembly on top of the sending unit. (external to the gas tank) You may be able to replace JUST that part, and solve the issue.

Check valve in the fuel line is a bad idea. It restricts flow, uses compression fittings..... (which I don't trust... ESPECIALLY on a brake, or FUEL line....) and will work the pump harder to flow gas around it.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drop the tank, this way you can clean it out at the same time. No use putting a new pump in a dirty tank.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Drop the tank, this way you can clean it out at the same time. No use putting a new pump in a dirty tank.
How would you go about cleaning the tank?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyis3
Well it seems like my Fuel Pump Check Valve has gone, one day the truck started first time every time, now it takes an extended time or 2 or 3 ignition turns to get her started, I did the test with a fuel pump pressure tester and it lost pressure within a short while, no leaking from injectors or anywhere else, I can live with this for a while as money is tight at the moment.

So a couple of questions:
1) Rough idea how long it will last like this?
2) Has anyone installed one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A30DGJTMHYAU9C with success or is that a really bad idea?
3) Drop the tank, remove the bed or cut a hole in the bed to replace the pump?

Thanks..
Just let it go till it quits completely. Mine's the same way, has been since I bought it in July 2010. Who knows how long its was like that before I bought it.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
How would you go about cleaning the tank?
After you get all the gas out of the tank, use a rag first to wipe out the bottom of the tank, then hot/warm water. Just dry it out good. This should be done in a open area, no open flames or smoking, grinding ETC.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 PM
tommyis3
Amateur

Ok, i`ll leave it until it quits working, hope it lasts for a while and doesn't leave me stranded, been reading through a few threads, looks like removing the bed is the easiest / quickest to get the pump changed..

Thanks for the replies..

Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, i`ll leave it until it quits working, hope it lasts for a while and doesn't leave me stranded, been reading through a few threads, looks like removing the bed is the easiest / quickest to get the pump changed..

Thanks for the replies..
Maybe it's just my age talking, but don't wait 'till it goes out completely. It's gonna leave you in a bad situation. Maybe it's an appointment you need to be at. Or maybe your leaving the movies at midnight and you can't get a signal on your cell to call AAA. The situations are endless.
When you do it, I would drop the tank. I just changed the fuel pump on my F250 by raising the bed and now I can't line it up quit right. Because of that, my truck makes a funny humming noise on the freeway that I verified is coming from in between the cab and the bed. You call though.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure would be nice to have the info about your truck in your sig and profile. The regulator/filters are available for some years IIRC.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM
ShaneBender
Default cut a hole in the bed

Thanks for the replies..
cut a hole in the bed...with an easy access its better for future minded being nothing lasts forever especially if its a lifer...im having the same problem took out my pump in the tank and went inline on the frame..but now theres no check so all the gas falls back into the tank due to gravity so the pump sucks a bit of air for the first ten seconds makes for a hell of a hard start in 10 below weather..

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Check Valve