2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in a bind...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Some of the parts are simply what's recommended for a rebuild. (but, they are still better parts than what's in there stock, clutches and steels being an example here.) Other parts are just flat out MEANER than what's in there. Stock is a four pinion planet gear, five is an upgrade, as is the six for reverse.

If you are feeling particularly masochistic today.... you could download the trans manual from the faq section, and take a look at one of the blown up pictures, so you will not what parts go where.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:08 PM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I made it to Ottawa. Bloody exhausted and beyond annoyed at the situation.

First off - Thank You to those of you who helped my GF out a bit. HeyYou, Ill have something shipped your way soon or just come up and enjoy the cold weather here in Canada ;-)

Okay... well... What to do. Definitely not gonna leave it with that shop. There is a transmission shop in Amherst (21km away) that I can get it towed to for "relatively" cheap.

There is a shop there... I haven't been able to get ahold of them though... no joy, as it was late in the day today when we tried to call. Not sure which route to go... Clearly having a $1,500 junkyard special is not an option. Having them rebuild it with the parts list might be a good route, but apparently that will take a while (upwards 2 weeks maybe?) anyways...

HeyYou, never thought of ordering one... I can only _IMAGINE_ what the shipping, handling, and duty charges would be to have it brought into Canada though. Heck, the Hughes FI AirGap was about $100 to ship and that weighed next to nothing.

Talk about **** poor timing.

PS. My GF said she tried finding the "picture" with all the parts, but had no luck. Props to her, she did try and tackled this all fairly well I'd say!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

have a look here. Thats where the part numbers and pricing is from in any event.

Kudos to her for even giving it a shot!!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM
InfO
Veteran

I owe her a lot and her parents... feel like a douche being 4 provinces away and with her car....

I looked at PATC, assuming you were suggesting the Level 2 Viper 46RE? That's $2399 US and I'd love to... but I can't even imagine what it'd cost to get it across the border.

I might have to see if I can figure out the parts list, I don't really know a whole lot about transmissions. I just figure since I have to do this... I want to do it right. once.

InfO.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Timing is everything........ Sorry 'bout that.

I should start smuggling parts into canada........ not like it's far away..... Yep, level 2, or 3. Shouldn't ever have to worry about it again. Might check and see if you can't find something similar made in canada? I don't know of any places, but, I haven't looked either. Maybe Merc225HP will have some insight?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:44 PM
InfO
Veteran

Hrm, I honestly am not sure. I checked out PATC, foreign orders are air shipped; however, I did see USPS for parts only... still damn expensive though.

And yeah, timing is everyone ;-)

I'd be surprised if there is anything similiar in Canada... Time to look though.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM
nomind

I'm in ontario. wht year and model is ur truck i have access to lots of parts and have a buddy tht goes to NS every week to get fresh lobsters i can get tranys for 350 - 500 bucks and have him bring it up to you just a thought

Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
InfO
Veteran

You could be a saviour. 1999 quad cab sport 4x4

Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have answered your pm. To answer you q I did look for a patc type deal up here in Canada and it was a no go. All I found were tanny shops that would install whatever I wanted but would not stand behind there work one bit, put a performance part in it and all warranty was gone. Patc shipped to me added close to $1000(customs, duty, tax, broker fee's) to the already large price tag, so that was out.

Edit: Get in touch with 8uzzsaw he had a tranny put in his truck recently and he is out your way I believe, he might have some input.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-14-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InfO
thanks,
one question, is that list the parts needed to upgrade the trans to what he wants or is that just to get it going again?
I want to be able to sound like I knowish what I am talking about when I call.

That's the upgrade list.

Quick Reply: in a bind...