2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in a bind...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

non-canadians probably don't have an understanding of canadian costs, but a standard overhaul including new torque converter and remove/install in the US would be in the 1200-1500+ range. an upgraded or heavy duty version would be in the 1800-2200+ range.

so your canadian standard overhaul of 1800 seems a little high, but maybe that's just the way it is. DO check and see if this includes a new/rebuilt torque converter. you definitely want that. you could live without the increased planetaries if budget demands it.

i would get a second opinion from another shop just to make sure the first shop is in the right ballpark. compare apples to apples and make sure one is not overcharging too much. to do this accurately - its important to have a parts list or build-sheet that defines the parts, as they are pretty expensive and can change the total by several hundred dollars. even the brand name of the part can have a big effect when your talking high performance clutches and bands vs cheapo standard replacements. sometimes its hard to tactfully ask and receive this kind of detail - but often, for the shops that don't want to divulge details, it could be that they're overcharging for lower quality parts. and make sure you DO get a new/rebuilt torque converters (rebuilt is normal).

Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now would be a perfect time for... 5 speed swap!!!!!

Oh wait. You're just trying to get it back on the road for the lady to drive. Never mind.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to figure out how to get my hands on a PATC. Not easy while I'm on parachute training with not internet (using my phone). Either the lvl 2 or the next one up... maybe if I get it shipped to Houlton I can pick it up. Not sure what the shipping coat ia to Houlton on the transmission though... and I haven't finished training early enough to.call and ask. Anyone by chance know?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,369 Likes on 3,111 Posts

Would that be Houlton Maine?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:43 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfO
Not sure what the shipping coat ia to Houlton on the transmission though... and I haven't finished training early enough to.call and ask. Anyone by chance know?
I don't know what it might be to there, but to Las Vegas, NV it was $165.00.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
InfO
Veteran

Yes, he is talking about Houlton maine. It is really easy to get there from where we are. (This is the GF again)

Wanted to give another update on what the shop is saying.

I emailed yesterday to ask about the break down sheet (didnt get that yet) and to see if the costs he quoted include the labour and a new/ rebuilt torque converter. Below is his response:

Hi, no problem with the questions I don't mind a bit. Both the 1818.27 plus tax and the 2348.34 plus tax include a rebuilt torque converter and removal & install costs. We have a rebuilt A518 (standard version) ready to install if you decide to go that way.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,369 Likes on 3,111 Posts

A rebuilt torque converter??? That would make me nervous, as the factory parts were one of the weakest links in these transmissions....... Post the sheet when you get it.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A rebuilt torque converter??? That would make me nervous, as the factory parts were one of the weakest links in these transmissions....... Post the sheet when you get it.
It was likely one that they replaced and rebuilt before it actually self destructed at the end of its life so it could be safely rebuilt... plus It may not even be an oem style one.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 PM
InfO
Veteran

This is the parts list I asked the shop for. He did not give me any brand names for the parts like I asked but hopefully this will be enough to go on.

Hi, this is a list of the necessary parts.

G/S kit
pump bushing
kickdown band
3-high & reverse friction clutches
4-foward friction clutches
3-high & reverse steel clutches
3-forward steel clutches
Sungear & shell
overdive carrier
rear carrier
filter
shift kit
govenor pressure switch
govenor pressure solenoid
12-liters Mopar ATF
reverse servo pioston
reverse servo pin
flush cooler lines
shop supplies
Toreque Converter
Labour

Right now we are also looking into the possibility of getting a transmission shipped to Maine for pick up. Don't know what the costs will be so not sure if it will be feasible yet.

Last edited by InfO; 01-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
According to MonteC and another tranny guy we had here for a few days. They are ALL rebuilt. Only place you get a new one is from the dealer or buy a B&M for instance.

Quick Reply: in a bind...