2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in a bind...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013 | 05:51 PM
InfO
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
It is not that difficult to adjust. Not much there to wear out, other than possibly the bushing, or bolt to rust up. Make sure it is good at the top of the shift rod to the columnas well, but most of the time, it is at the cross bar at the bottom.
Thanks for the picture, and after I did some "learnin'!" I came to about the same realization. I'm thinking it's primarily the bottom, but I intend to check it all out. After that's done, I'll take it to the transmission shop. They said they'll also have a look/clean up free of charge. Always good.

I'm going to look on RockAuto right now for the bushings... And, I'm thinking my rough ride (I still haven't installed the lift either) is contributing to it all. Need to smooth out that ride so the truck isn't one big bump after another.

InfO.

Old 03-30-2013 | 10:15 AM
InfO
|
Veteran

Need a bit of help/suggestion.

I ended up on course pretty much after parking the truck and having shift issues. I got back mid-last week, so now that it's the long weekend I was preparing to adjust the shift linkage which I assumed was all I required.

As I got under there, started familiarizing myself with the parts I started to think "Wow... for something so important, this entire shift linkage setup seems very flimsy." - turns out, it SHOULDN'T be. I noticed that the 90 degree angle change in the shift linkage (coming down from the steering shaft to where there is a bracket bolted to the frame, then the linkage heads towards the transmission) is ****ed. The two bolts that hold the bracket to the frame and keep the shift linkage all tight are sheered right off. The bolt heads are still on the bracket, the bolt bodies are in the frame.

Suggestions for getting that all out?

Thanks,
InfO.

Old 03-30-2013 | 11:25 AM
InfO
|
Veteran

Yeah... this isn't going to allow for proper shifting!!

Name:  2013-03-30121908_zpsf252383e.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  125.2 KB

InfO.

Old 03-30-2013 | 11:29 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Reverse cutting drill bit's, ez out (at least try one), tap for new threads. Heat might help as well.

Old 03-30-2013 | 11:46 AM
InfO
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Reverse cutting drill bit's, ez out (at least try one), tap for new threads. Heat might help as well.
Merc, you're wicked for your responses. I almost just called you first to double check what I was going to do - which is what you suggest. I've got some penetrating oil sitting on it right now. It's going to be a nice weekend, so I'll leave it for the night and tackle it tomorrow. I've got some ez outs, though I haven't used them in forever. Will double check the process.

Also going to pick up a rivet gun to put the rivets back in for the inner fender well.

Random note... I _CANNOT_ wait to install the lift kit/HD front end parts/manual locking hub. She is in sad shape up front:

InfO.

Old 03-30-2013 | 11:59 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Drill them out to almost the threads then try the ez out, don't leave lots of meat in there. To be honest I would just drill oversize and tap new threads, then drill out the bracket to match the new bolt size. Just over the current bolt size nothing too big.

I thought you guy's were going to be getting a big storm?

Edit; Gotta welder might be ez'er just to weld that back to the frame in a couple of spots, 10 min repair compared to messing with bolts.

Last edited by merc225hp; 03-30-2013 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-30-2013 | 12:03 PM
InfO
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Drill them out to almost the threads then try the ez out, don't leave lots of meat in there. To be honest I would just drill oversize and tap new threads, then drill out the bracket to match the new bolt size. Just over the currant bolt size nothing too big.

I thought you guy's were going to be getting a big storm?
*quickly loads theweathernetwork* I hope not... I pulled out the summer tires for the car...

I'm pretty sure we're good for the next 14 days, but I could be completely wrong! There's barely any snow on the ground as is. I know there was a storm while I was gone in Canmore, AB ice climbing, but luckily the Misses had the clean that one up ;o)

InfO.

Old 03-30-2013 | 12:10 PM
merc225hp
Champion

^^^ That's good I musta heard wrong, listening to the TV in the background.

Old 04-02-2013 | 04:21 PM
InfO
|
Veteran

Picked up a few tools on the long weekend and got the bolts out. For those that ever tackle this issue, do _NOT_ pull the gearshift control rod vertical link which the instructions say can be done.

I cannot for the _LIFE_ of me put that back in. Further, though they say replace the grommet, the new ones are hard plastic and have no give. I cannot even get a new one onto the pin. Go figure.

InfO.

Old 04-02-2013 | 04:47 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Use a hair drier to heat the plastic bushing to make it more malleable, it might help.

Quick Reply: in a bind...