2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in a bind...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,369 Likes on 3,111 Posts

pretty generic list for a stock rebuild, aside from the sun gear and such. For that kind of money, I think you would be further ahead picking up a mega viper, level 2 or whatever, and picking it up in the states, and having it installed...... no extra clutches.... not much of an upgrade...... I would check costs on that at any rate.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shipping question. We are now looking at the possibility of getting a PATC shipped to Maine and picking it up from there.
I am trying to do some pricing to have the item held but am unsure of the way it will be packed/ shipped.
I am making an assumption that it would be shipped on a pallet. I was wondering if there was someone who has ordered one previously and if yes, what were the dimensions/ how was it packed up.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by InfO
Yes, he is talking about Houlton maine. It is really easy to get there from where we are. (This is the GF again)

Wanted to give another update on what the shop is saying.

I emailed yesterday to ask about the break down sheet (didnt get that yet) and to see if the costs he quoted include the labour and a new/ rebuilt torque converter. Below is his response:

Hi, no problem with the questions I don't mind a bit. Both the 1818.27 plus tax and the 2348.34 plus tax include a rebuilt torque converter and removal & install costs. We have a rebuilt A518 (standard version) ready to install if you decide to go that way.
How far is it to Houlton from you?
Is it possible you could have your truck towed to shop in Houlton that you could have it shipped to and have them install it?
Not sure if this would be a better option, money wise.
Just throwing it out there.

Dave

Old 01-29-2012, 02:28 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfO
I was wondering if there was someone who has ordered one previously and if yes, what were the dimensions/ how was it packed up.
It was in a wood crate, palletized, and quite professionally packed. Just guessing from memory, the crate was about 34" tall, about as wide, and a tad shy of 48" in length. The BOL doesn't show dimensions but gives the weight at 240 pounds.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
InfO
Veteran

Thought I'd try and keep THIS thread going instead of starting a new one...

And I'm still searching on this topic, just wanted to get a message out quickly so I can call the shop if someone recommends.

I had my transmission rebuilt a year ago. In fact, 1 year and 5 days ago (And of course, the warrranty is only for 1 year...).

I pulled into the house today, put the truck in park and as I hoped out QUICKLY realized my truck was rolling back. Whhooooaaaa there girl. I figured I must have missed park and stopped in reserve. Nope... it's in park.

I go to restart the truck so I can move forward... can't start. No ticking, no nothing. Which makes me think the truck very much so ISN'T in park and thus is unable to start.

What to check? What is a possible issue/solution?

I checked the fluid on the transmission (though I know I should while it's idle, that is kind of not possible at the moment). It looks good. Right level, right colour.

I moved the shift selector, it sounds like it's good/feels like it's good. Doesn't feel as if it is loose and disconnected, but not 100% sure.

Suggestions? (And I'm off to search as well).

InfO.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
InfO
Veteran

Good news is they will honour the warranty... bad news is I can't get the truck to start to drive it there. Don't want to have to tow it if I don't require it.

I held the key in start and kept shifting back and forth hoping for luck - no joy. I did notice that the casing on the steering column where the shifter is was a little bit cracked open (along the seems that is), I just pushed it back closed. Not sure if they could be a source of all this mayhem?

Thoughts?

InfO.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM
InfO
Veteran

Search is your friend. Did some searching, learned about the shift linkage, where it was, and that mine feels very loose and looks very rusty. Followed it under the truck, felt how loose it was... then I pushed a horizontal looking lever towards the rear of the truck (read in the service manual that Park is to the rear) and the truck now starts. Now to determine how difficult it is to replace all this.

InfO.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,369 Likes on 3,111 Posts

Check the shift linkage, make sure everything is still connected nice and tight.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check the shift linkage, make sure everything is still connected nice and tight.
HeyYou,

Yep... it's not. I pushed the valve body shift control lever to the rear and then was able to start the truck. Shifted into drive (from the inside) so I could pull forward into my parking spot - hit the gas and WHOA... hello, that's a lot of throttle for reverse. So I'm thinking the linkage is loose.

I am going to try and follow this: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/21-24-94.htm for tightening it all up. Not really an expert, so not sure what parts may have to be replaced. It all felt somewhat loose to be honest though.

InfO.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not that difficult to adjust. Not much there to wear out, other than possibly the bushing, or bolt to rust up. Make sure it is good at the top of the shift rod to the columnas well, but most of the time, it is at the cross bar at the bottom.

From below (sorry for the blur):

Name:  Shiftbracetonframe.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  59.7 KB

Quick Reply: in a bind...