2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cheaper plenum plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by jpryorx2
figures i couldn't get this page to load earlier so i just went ahead and order it for the 65 then i typed out this response only to have it not post it. (must be one of them days for my computer) anyways my truck is completly stock but the peace of minds is worth the extra cash knowing i'll only have to do it once. the wifes durango is an 01 and from what i understand dodge fixed the issues by then atleast i hope so
Nope. They didn't. In fact, they NEVER fixed the problem..... unless the truck went in for service for that particular problem, your durango is gonna need the fix as well.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM
jpryorx2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well **** i thought i had read it on here but i guess i was wrong. as of right now her durango isn't showing any of the signs that my truck is ie loss of power up hills spark knock useing oil and crappy gas mileage. but atleast i will have allready done one and know what to expect when the time comes.maybe i'll get lucky and hers won't blow untill the truck is paid off

Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't the 01 Durango's have the 4.7L? Idk could be wrong

Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Depends on the year.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

2001?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 AM
jpryorx2
Professional

in 01 they came with the 4.7 or the 5.9 we just picked it up this past summer. it took us almost 2 months to find it as we had a list of options that we wanted. we would only get one with the 5.9 4wd had to have the 3rd row seats,cloth seats and any color but white.we ended up haveing a 10 hour drive round trip and ended up with a brite red one in perfect shape for just under 6 grand. now the tailgate allready has has a rust problem so it needs to go into the shop as soon as i set some cash aside

Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 AM
joekool4
Professional

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Dude sells the same plates on Ebay for $54. Lists them as "Hughes/APS" plates.
Can't find it anywhere on ebay, got a link? Also, how much do the bolts have to be shortened/what size washers should be used. I just need a right now fix but i dont want to just replace the gasket to have it tear up again, although it took over 65k miles for it blow since i bougth the truck in 07 with 107k. i dont know if it was replaced before or not but i cant really afford the plate right now.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joekool4
Can't find it anywhere on ebay, got a link? Also, how much do the bolts have to be shortened/what size washers should be used. I just need a right now fix but i dont want to just replace the gasket to have it tear up again, although it took over 65k miles for it blow since i bougth the truck in 07 with 107k. i dont know if it was replaced before or not but i cant really afford the plate right now.
you just need to grind off the unthreaded nipple at the bottom of the bolts.... or use thick washers on them so they dont go as deep into the manifold and bottom out.... It should be a permanent fix...(well as long as the gaskets are supposed to last) Its what Dodge recommends to fix the problem.
as far as ebay? just search "dodge ram plenum".... It just worked for me..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-19-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
you just need to grind off the unthreaded nipple at the bottom of the bolts.... or use thick washers on them so they dont go as deep into the manifold and bottom out.... It should be a permanent fix...(well as long as the gaskets are supposed to last) Its what Dodge recommends to fix the problem.
as far as ebay? just search "dodge ram plenum".... It just worked for me..
Augiedoggy, do you know this with certainty? If so, how? Did you perform a test using both the aluminum plate and the OE pan?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think this is proven. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my crow and stfu. I've seen you share this in several threads, and now here. It's as good a theory as there is, but would you be willing to pay for every person who heeded your advice's rig to be redone if in the case it failed again? Would you be willing to spend the time to do it?

point is- the plate IS proven... your advice is based on conjecture and supposition, and based on a rec'd fix by the same ***** that created the issue to begin with..

it's not that the plate is expensive- it's really not that bad.. what adds up is the time involved in DIY, or paying someone to do it + the cost of oil + the cost of intake manifold gaskets + cleaner medium + the 'may as wells', which are plugs, wires, rotors, caps, 'stats, hoses, ect.. the cost of the plate is marginal to all of that.. the cost of going back in there AGAIN because your fix is unverified, is enough to **** even the most even tempered dude off pretty bad..

so, in short- please provide documentation of your experiments both with aluminum plate and shorter bolts, how you tested them, circumstances, and such when you offer the advice to 'just use shorter bolts or file the nipple off the existing ones'..

Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by joekool4
HERE:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-A...#ht_765wt_1139

Quick Reply: cheaper plenum plate