2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cheaper plenum plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979
i am curious about the canadian vs american assembly lines as i have two 5.9l rams with approx 160k miles on them and no plenum issues so to speak of.
I wonder if it wouldn't be more of a factor of where the intakes were sourced from....... so far as I know, everything else is pretty much the same. Maybe some foundry, or machine shop was a bit lax in their quality control?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:21 AM
joekool4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I wonder if it wouldn't be more of a factor of where the intakes were sourced from....... so far as I know, everything else is pretty much the same. Maybe some foundry, or machine shop was a bit lax in their quality control?
i dont know about anyone else but my truck says parts made in america assembled in mexico. I dont know if the gasket has been changed before, but ive got 175k on the odometer when the spark knock started. (bought it with 107k)

Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mines mexican...(If the engine is original to the truck?) no plenum issues that I can tell....150k

Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

my truck has 153k on it and i'm guess has had a bad gasket for atleast the past 3-4 years basically it had spark knock since i got it.i did have a clogged cat last year which i cut open hollowed it out and welded back up.so far i haven't even pulled an o2 code.next fix will be the governor soliniod which i'm hoping will fix early shifting issues and a 3-4 shift code i keep pulling the wifes durango has 175k and isn't showing any signs as of yet. i got my plate and am hoping to get it in tomorrow if i can find the torque specs and sequinece tonight

Old 01-27-2012, 12:44 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Torque it just like a head, from inside out, rotating each side. I think they torque to like 12 ish ft lb's or somethng. Cant recall off the top of my head and im at work and dont have my trusty book.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 AM
jpryorx2
Professional

well after alot of reading here tonight it looks like i'll be heading to the dealer for new tty intake bolts in the morning. i just wasn't sure if i should go by the torques in the fsm since i'll actually be using an aftermaket plenum plate. i'm really looking forward to seeing how the truck runs with this fixed. right now if i get over 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it sounds like a diesel driving down the road. even worse on hills or when towing anything. right now i can not maintain any speed even going up smaller hills. not to mention it's useing oil and my mileage sucks.so i'm hoping to see an improvment in all aspects.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

got it off this morning somhow i got lucky and didn't break any bolts off in my heads. but my quick 75 mile round trip to the dealer ended up being a take the kids sking for the day so hopfully tomorrow i'll get it all put back together if i can move (my back is all screwed up and leaning over the front of my truck all morning didn't help it any). my plenum gasket was blown out in 6 different spots and oil was literally running out of my intake when i set it on my bench so i guess i've found my problem.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
jpryorx2
Professional

ok stupid question here but how are you guys torqueing down your plates? i have 3 of the clicker style torque wrenches. my 1/4 in one goes up to 50 inch pounds which is fine for the first round of torqueing then my 3/8 starts at 120 inch pounds and my 1/2 in starts at 30 ft pounds. so how do i get to 84 inch pounds? it converts to 7 ft pounds but i haven't been able to even find anyone that has one to go that low. how accurate does it really have to be? i do have an old beam style with the pointer needle but didn't know if that would be concidered close enough because it only has the lines at 5ft pounds and 10 pounds so i'd be guessing to get them to 7. any advice?

thanks
jason

Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM
roger_groom

Ok so question. I have an 01 1500 5.9 4wd. It is giving me issues and kind of lost. What are the signs of a blown plenum. My vacuum is strong and runs great until warm then starts acting like it is missing. This only happens when it hits high gears. Plugs are new as cap and rotor. Brings code for evaporation cannister. I use my truck daily so tearing it down without knowing is not what I want to do.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Disconnect the front O2 sensor, and drive the truck that way for a while, see if it is any better.

Quick Reply: cheaper plenum plate