2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans slips from 1-2, Truck stalls when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Only solenoids in yours are for TCC, and O/D. So, I don't think its gonna be that easy.

If the t/c has blown itself to flinders, rebuild is the ONLY option. NO flush is ever going to get that crap out, and just the flush itself may kill your trans.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Prodirt6000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Only solenoids in yours are for TCC, and O/D. So, I don't think its gonna be that easy.

If the t/c has blown itself to flinders, rebuild is the ONLY option. NO flush is ever going to get that crap out, and just the flush itself may kill your trans.
Thanks for the heads up. I've always wanted to put a 5 speed in it.......maybe its about time!! Auto's give me nothing but trouble

Old 01-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Prodirt6000
Professional

Also, I had to pick up my work truck from the dealer, and AAMCO is right next door. So I dropped off my dodge with the bad tranny there for a free estimate/diagnosis. I'm up in Vermont, would anyone know a good place to get it rebuilt? Is AAMCO trustworthy?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AAMCO is like any other chain. Some are good, and some are bad. Only people in your are would know the reputation of that shop.

Have them drop the pan and show you what it looks like in there. Post a pic if you can.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Prodirt6000
Professional

They called me up and told me that the transmission was low in oil. I guess on dodges you are supposed to let the engine run in neutral when checking the oil level. Probably everyone knows that but me! This whole time I thought it was good..

Anyways, they pulled the pan and they said there is a fair amount of brass and metal shavings in there. Looks like it will be needing a rebuild. They want $2,200 for it. I told them put the pan back on and I will drive it home.

What should I do next? How much should I expect to pay?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

2200 is a bit steep, for a bit more, you could get a mega viper and never worry about it again..... Get an estimate, including what parts they are planning on replacing, and shop around, see what else you can find for pricing.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodirt6000
They called me up and told me that the transmission was low in oil. I guess on dodges you are supposed to let the engine run in neutral when checking the oil level. Probably everyone knows that but me! This whole time I thought it was good..

Anyways, they pulled the pan and they said there is a fair amount of brass and metal shavings in there. Looks like it will be needing a rebuild. They want $2,200 for it. I told them put the pan back on and I will drive it home.

$2200 is about right if there is a good warranty. As far as the rest of your post goes, a Haynes manual would have told you how to check the level of the tranny, amongst other valuable info for any vehicle owner.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my neck of the woods a basic rebuild is $1200...1500 with converter.. mine just cost me 1800 because I needed a new tailhousing and some additional work like softplugs replaced...
It seems to very by geography on cost because of supply and demand...

Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodirt6000

I guess you Ignored the advice in the very first response to your question telling you plain as day what to do....

Originally Posted by bjr1a
First thing to do here is to check your fluid level.....It checks in the neutral position....If fluid is checked in Park, it WILL NOT check correctly.....Low fluid will cause those symptoms..
unfortunatly driving it this way does a lot of damage...

Quick Reply: Trans slips from 1-2, Truck stalls when stopped