2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Filter / Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:53 PM
1nordictom1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter / Regulator

I did a search & really didn't come up with anything.......

Has anyone come up with a better fuel filter / pressure reg. system than whats on a 2001 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 gas?

the filter is $75, WTF.

Does anyone have any pictures of when they did a replacment? ideas? specs?

Thanks,

NT

Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

GM........

I was in discussion with Merc225HP for a while, about the possibility of changing over the dodge system, to a gm style "return" type system. The regulator would be up by the intake, and the filter would be changeable by it's lonesome.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did ya'll reach a conclusion? This intrigues me...

Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

It would require some modifications of the fuel pump module. (elimination of the filter/regulator assembly.) It would also require modifications to the fuel rail, in at the rear of one rail, out that one, around to the other rail, with the regulator and return line at the other end of that rail. Custom making the rails would be easier than modifying what's there..... any regulator that would handle the pressure would work, lots of companies make 'em, including holley..... Then, a return line back to the tank.

Feed line from pump to rail could just have the filter plumbed in anywhere convenient. Stock pump should work just fine. In fact, this type of system might even promote longer fuel pump life, as fuel would always be flowing. (and cooling the pump)

Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 PM
1nordictom1
Amateur

I was thinking in this direction, I just don't know the spec's.

Fuel rails & regulator should be easy to find, maybe at Summit. I guess I will need to drop the tank in mine to get a better look at the modifications that will be needed. The filter can be mounted anywhere on the frame.

NT

Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We were indeed discussing this weren’t we. My plans in the spring are to eliminate the in tank pump altogether. I am going to run a pre filter to fuel pump to filter to fuel rails, pressure reg then return line back to the tank. There needs to be a in tank baffle system installed along with pick up tube, parts of the old pump housing will still be used, mostly for through wall fittings for the fuel lines. Fuel rails are not that ez to find for the magnum the best place looks to be hi-potek. Filters, pumps and lines are your choice and there are lots to pick from.

The system that I plan to use not cheap by any means (link below); there are cheaper systems out there. The big advantage is its all external and fully serviceable and adjustable. I have gone through about one (Mopar) pump a year for the last four years, and @ $350 (no labour included) a piece that adds up quick. If I can get three years without replacing a pump then this has paid for itself. Yes its overkill but thats my choice.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-17135/

http://aeromotiveinc.com/

The other opt I was looking at doing was; find a short piece of fuel line that will attach to the fuel line outlet from the pressure regulator, then a inline filter then into the existing line along the frame. The goal here is to find all the parts using the factory style line connectors.

I don’t understand the lack of a ez serviceable inline fuel filter on these trucks it makes no sense at all.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-21-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:18 PM
1nordictom1
Amateur

Thats a nice system....

My goal is to elminate the filter / regulator. I need to get a better look, But I believe I can modify the stock fuel rail. The Filter/Reg is the hard part, I stopped by the Dodge dealer this morning, I couldn't get any spec's dimensions on the part of the filter that is in the pump. So, my next step is to look in a few salvage yards, to find the complete unit to use for mock up. Where I'm going, is to machine a "spud" that will replace the filter unit. I will then install a inline filter after the pump........

If anyone has an old pump/ filter unit...........I'll take it off your hands.

NT

Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

Now is there any way possible to run an eternal regulator and filter with out replacing/modifying fuel rails and running a return line?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Filter yes regulator no.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain

So how does the stock regulator work with out a return line?

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter / Regulator