2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mind blown, 2wd lift kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmbishop

A low percentage of 4x4 guys actually need 4x4 despite what they claim. most of the 4x4 guys are just doing it for looks and not be be practical. I drive a stock height 2wd with ATs through Dallas then all over our 270 acres of mud, not just any mud, Texas mud.
your right about this being over discussed....

I guess its like a v6 camaro vs a v8 camaro.... which one have better potential to be used in a race? ....Ok now we will compare a 4 wheel drive vehicle to a 2wd vehicle... which one has better potential to be used off road and in situations where poor traction and questionable terrain come into play??
Will the v8 Camaro always outperform the v6 Camaro?... not necessarily, it all depends on whats been done to it and the Camaro its up against. The v6 car would likley do ok but not as well as most of the v8 Camaro's...

Would you be as likely to use a v6 powered Camaro to build a car for racing as you would a v8? and what would most say or think if that v6 Camaro was at a car show all decked out like a racecar? many would say it would make more sense to put the performance mods into a car better suited for the task... and a v8 has more potential than the v6..

I have nothing against a lifted 2wd car,truck ,suv vw thing whatever... I'm just saying lets recognize the strong points and shortcomings of it and not ramble on about how a v6 Camaro is just as practical for performance and the v8 has no advantage in performance in a race...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
jmbishop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people who own camaros race? The percentage is low, most v8 camaros don't need a v8 because they will never be raced.

Alright lets stay on topic, we don't need to talk about garbage overweight retro styled muscle cars. I could go on forever about the new obese imitation muscle cars.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

How many people who own camaros race? The percentage is low, most v8 camaros don't need a v8 because they will never be raced.

Alright lets stay on topic, we don't need to talk about garbage overweight retro styled muscle cars. I could go on forever about the new obese imitation muscle cars.
See how you completely overlooked my point on purpose?
I'll keep it to obsolete gas guzzling retro styled overweight under powered and undergeared trucks? there is nothing imitation about a new v8 camaro being a capable muscle car.... You obviously know very little about the topic to make such comments...
Funny you should use the word imitation though... Notice how they didnt offer a lifted offroad package for the ram in 2wd?
There isnt any good thats going to come out of this conversation and my point is going to be buried every chance someone gets so I'll drop it...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-04-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:51 PM
jmbishop
Professional

I was just restating the point you missed in the same context you used.

And yes, the new retro muscle cars are a joke, the engines have gotten better, the chassis are worse. For every 100 lbs you ad to a car, you need to ad around 10 HP to not feel the weight difference. Take a modern LS, drop it in a 69 camaro and it will spank the modern camaro with the same ls all day long.
2010 camaro ss weight 3769lbs
1969 camaro ss weight around 2800lbs

Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2WD guys always get up in arms when ever the 4WD guys knock them for wanting to lift their 2WDs.
2WD is very practical in most cases; tires will help a 2WD through tons of muck.
However, not everyone can afford huge mud tires for a 2WD, yet they can afford highway tires for a 4WD since they are usually less expensive. Not only this, but a 4WD has....you guessed it...power to all four wheels, which will help it gain more traction in an off road situation.

Example: I had to pull my grandpa's Chevy out of his pasture once with his tractor. Why? Two things really: He stopped, and he uses highway tires. Now, stopping is a big no-no, and if he had an AT or MT on the back it might not have gotten stuck. Then again, it MIGHT have. My truck, a 4WD, has not been stuck once in the same pasture, even when stupid me has stopped. Why? 4WD. I have spun the rears in 2WD very easily, and been close to getting stuck, I pop it in 4WD and I get out. Why? Two tires that aren't dug into the dirt.

*waits for Heyyou to lock thread*

*EDIT*
Hey, jmbishop....ya know why cars are muscle cars are heavier now?
The government.
Think about it.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I was just restating the point you missed in the same context you used.

And yes, the new retro muscle cars are a joke, the engines have gotten better, the chassis are worse. For every 100 lbs you ad to a car, you need to ad around 10 HP to not feel the weight difference. Take a modern LS, drop it in a 69 camaro and it will spank the modern camaro with the same ls all day long.
2010 camaro ss weight 3769lbs
1969 camaro ss weight around 2800lbs
and take all the manditory safety and epa crap they have to add by law to todays vehicles and I bet that 69 camaro outweighs the new ones... bottom line a stock 2010 camaro ss will smoke any stock 69 camaro. (and do it more reliably with less fuel).. the hp ratinga are on the old system and are inflated.

4wd's are really only 2wd and 2wd's are really only 1wd in sticky situations unless there are LSD units or lockers involved...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-04-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 PM
jmbishop
Professional

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
*EDIT*
Hey, jmbishop....ya know why cars are muscle cars are heavier now?
The government.
Think about it.
Oh I know, this is why we can't have nice things.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy

4wd's are really only 2wd and 2wd's are really only 1wd in sticky situations unless there are LSD units or lockers involved...
Does that mean my truck is a 3WD, since I have an LSD?

Oh I know, this is why we can't have nice things.
That is why the Geo Metro still spanks all these new cars.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM
dlyter09
Champion

All this talk about camaros...

Old 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^Hey, I talk about Geo Metros.

Quick Reply: mind blown, 2wd lift kits?