2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mind blown, 2wd lift kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I was thinking Fiero, but wasn't sure.

I thought they looked interesting.
But didn't they lack power?
Woefully underpowered with the four, somewhat underpowered with the six. Only reason they were so light, is because they were only TWO passenger, with very limited luggage space. Unfortunately, extremely impractical as a family car.... even more so than the same year camaro.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
jmbishop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
But didn't they lack power?

They did, 140hp was the best you could get, 3800sc, sbc, northstar, and ls swaps are common with the fiero.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jmbishop
They did, 140hp was the best you could get, 3800sc, sbc, northstar, and ls swaps are common with the fiero.
My personal favorite was the 455 olds tornado driveline swap.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
jmbishop
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Woefully underpowered with the four, somewhat underpowered with the six. Only reason they were so light, is because they were only TWO passenger, with very limited luggage space. Unfortunately, extremely impractical as a family car.... even more so than the same year camaro.
Luggage space was pretty good for a 2 seater. what really killed the fiero was the bad press, the 84 had a bad habit of throwing rods through the block when neglected or abused dumping hot oil onto a hot cat catching the car on fire. A lower % of Fieros caught fire than ford a few years ago but the Fiero never shook the bad press.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmbishop
Luggage space was pretty good for a 2 seater. what really killed the fiero was the bad press, the 84 had a bad habit of throwing rods through the block when neglected or abused dumping hot oil onto a hot cat catching the car on fire. A lower % of Fieros caught fire than ford a few years ago but the Fiero never shook the bad press.
yup.... damn Ralph Nader for dissing the corvair and ruining it for rear powered American cars...
the fiero is a popular kitcar platform... but its fairly small inside and out... (I cant really complain as the rear engine vw kitcar I own is also small.... but weighing in at just over 1200lbs it really flies... even with a 1600cc 4 banger..
the fiero was actually the testbed for the then future mid engine corvette that never materialized...

Old 04-05-2012, 02:14 AM
jmbishop
Professional

Gotta love a forum where people go way off topic arguing and end up talking about oddball stuff instead of arguing.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^EXACTLY!
Which is why I love this place.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Off-topic? Oh hell no, we NEVER do that........

Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Like air that we can breathe... Keep in mind, in 68, seat belts were optional too......

I have a 4x4 because there are occasions when I need it. I can't afford to keep a vehicle for every purpose I might need one for, so, I have a truck, because I need to haul stuff far more frequently than I would like, and I have 4x4 because the weather gets crappy here. A 2wd truck will not do as well in snow and crappy conditions as a 4x4.

Also, I want 4x4 because I like to go off road, a 4x4 will ALWAYS be more capable than similarly equipped 4x2 in the condtions that I see here. so, 4x4 for me. Now, I probably really didn't need a 3/4 ton.... but, strangely enough, there have been a couple times were even THAT was required......

People drive what they do because that is what they want/could afford/was available at the time/etc. Any one can be better than any other, it just depends on what you want to use it for. If you live someplace where it never snows, and you don't go off-road, a 4x4 would certainly suit your needs... etc.

There is no real debate here, what's 'best' for one person, may not be what's 'best' for the next guy. So, let's just leave that dead horse lie please.
I drive a 4x4 3/4 ton to work, live in a dormitory, and have absolutely no reason to have a truck like this. But I like it. It all comes down to what you like. For my purposes a v6 2wd would do everything I need. Shoot, my 8800lb GVWR truck doesn't even have a hitch reciever on it! (yet...) But I wouldn't have looked twice at a 1/2 ton, or any automatic, because I wanted what I got, and I got what I wanted. I am a fan of overkill, so when that one situation happens, I am prepared.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM
jmbishop
Professional

One man card removed from Augiedoggy and given to 2x1972

Quick Reply: mind blown, 2wd lift kits?