2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mind blown, 2wd lift kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
^Hey, I talk about Geo Metros.
Thats still ban worthy

Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Originally Posted by jmbishop
Oh I know, this is why we can't have nice things.
Like air that we can breathe... Keep in mind, in 68, seat belts were optional too......

I have a 4x4 because there are occasions when I need it. I can't afford to keep a vehicle for every purpose I might need one for, so, I have a truck, because I need to haul stuff far more frequently than I would like, and I have 4x4 because the weather gets crappy here. A 2wd truck will not do as well in snow and crappy conditions as a 4x4.

Also, I want 4x4 because I like to go off road, a 4x4 will ALWAYS be more capable than similarly equipped 4x2 in the condtions that I see here. so, 4x4 for me. Now, I probably really didn't need a 3/4 ton.... but, strangely enough, there have been a couple times were even THAT was required......

People drive what they do because that is what they want/could afford/was available at the time/etc. Any one can be better than any other, it just depends on what you want to use it for. If you live someplace where it never snows, and you don't go off-road, a 4x4 would certainly suit your needs... etc.

There is no real debate here, what's 'best' for one person, may not be what's 'best' for the next guy. So, let's just leave that dead horse lie please.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does that mean my truck is a 3WD, since I have an LSD?

yup...same setup I have... if you havent had you LSD rebuilt yet its likely not working anymore...the clutch packs wear out quickly...

Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Thats still ban worthy
Awww. You're no fun!
Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
yup...same setup I have... if you havent had you LSD rebuilt yet its likely not working anymore...the clutch packs wear out quickly...
I'm still spinning both tires.
So it works.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
jmbishop
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
and take all the manditory safety and epa crap they have to add by law to todays vehicles and I bet that 69 camaro outweighs the new ones... bottom line a stock 2010 camaro ss will smoke any stock 69 camaro. (and do it more reliably with less fuel).. the hp ratinga are on the old system and are inflated.

4wd's are really only 2wd and 2wd's are really only 1wd in sticky situations unless there are LSD units or lockers involved...
They can still build cars that meet safety standards and are light weight. In 1984 GM released a affordable 2800lbs car with no airbags, had a 5 star crash test rating and even beat volvo in 1984 on safety. Unfortunately GM didn't do well with the car only selling it for 5 years but the technology still lives on today in the corvette.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^What car was that?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
jmbishop
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is no real debate here, what's 'best' for one person, may not be what's 'best' for the next guy. So, let's just leave that dead horse lie please.
Agreed.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They can still build cars that meet safety standards and are light weight. In 1984 GM released a affordable 2800lbs car with no airbags, had a 5 star crash test rating and even beat volvo in 1984 on safety. Unfortunately GM didn't do well with the car only selling it for 5 years but the technology still lives on today in the corvette.
the citation? I have an 84 vette actually... now that is an underpowered racecar... handles like a slot car but very underpowered..(very reliable DD in the summer though and gets great mpg for a 350..)
A lot has changed in safety regulations since then... so have star crash levels... airbags are mandatory now not optional...

Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
jmbishop
Professional

With the addition of airbags it would only test better.

^What car was that?
Pontiac Fiero. The fiero was the first car designed with a full space frame.

Fiero space frame

Vette space frame

Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

With the addition of airbags it would only test better.

Pontiac Fiero. The fiero was the first car designed with a full space frame.

Fiero space frame

Vette space frame
I was thinking Fiero, but wasn't sure.

I thought they looked interesting.
But didn't they lack power?

Quick Reply: mind blown, 2wd lift kits?