2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mind blown, 2wd lift kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM
xtopher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully my post doesn't interrupt y'all's conversation, but if it does, oh well. I've got 1998 2wd ext. cab long bed, so as it is (stock), it's pretty worthless off road. I've been looking to get more ground clearance with a few inches of body lift and bigger tires, I haven't decided on numbers yet. My question is would it be cheaper to buy my lift kit piece by piece or just get a kit? Me and a buddy can install it so labor isn't an issue and with the semester winding down I've got a whole summer to find parts. Any info is useful, thanks fellas.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Kits are invariably cheaper than buying individual parts....

Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tatitup8
i dont think money is a problem with her, Daddy is CEO of ETMC and mommy is physical therapist.....
Im kinda disappointed no one else asked this VERY important question yet........... DOES SHE HAVE A SISTER?????????

Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I lifted mine a bit higher yesterday... I thought t I only had a body lift turns out when I went to put the spacers in I found I already had 2" spacers up front... so I replaced them with 2 1/2... the real clue was when I went to put the moog steering stabilizer on and the drop pitman arm was in the way.... I havent got all the new shocks in yet But I cant wait...

So anyway I have both 2 1/2" inch front spacers for a 2wd and a 1/2" rear shackle lift as well as 2" steel (a bit rusty but solid) 4wd coil spacers for sale... I'm holding the 2wd spacers and rear lift until next week for a member who messaged me about them whos interested..

Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmbishop
One man card removed from Augiedoggy and given to 2x1972
I dont get it? But I'll bite...

If he really was a fan of overkill...

He would have a lifted 4WD with a diesel or a 360 that says something like "compensating" across the dash... parked between a tiny roadster in the driveway that almost fits under it.and a color changing vette... Throw in a few extra vehicles and a bike , a snowmobile and a couple golfcarts including a lifted one with yellow rubber tires and more bling you can shake a stick at....I just sold the boat and jetski but trust me I had enough "overkill" in my driveways... I go overboard with many hobbies.... My 109" tv in the living room with satellite reception from the US and canada (another hobby) and 150 gallon salt water reef tank are testiments to that... go big or go home so to speak...

And I dont even live with my parents....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-14-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, It doesn't say compensating, but...

It looks like it fought in Vietnam...

Old 04-14-2012, 03:36 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i could see leveling the front of a 2wd truck with the back end but i hate body lifts as cool as they can look once they are installed. they raise you center of gravity which could cause you to tip easier. i got what i have because the price was right and i like the way they look. now if i could have bought the 4x4 version for the same price i might have considered them but the 4x4 are 2-3 time more expensive and who know how well they were maintained or abused. most people abuse 4x4 and don't abuse the 2wd's quite as bad.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i could see leveling the front of a 2wd truck with the back end but i hate body lifts as cool as they can look once they are installed. they raise you center of gravity which could cause you to tip easier. i got what i have because the price was right and i like the way they look. now if i could have bought the 4x4 version for the same price i might have considered them but the 4x4 are 2-3 time more expensive and who know how well they were maintained or abused. most people abuse 4x4 and don't abuse the 2wd's quite as bad.
Actually, body lifts raise the CoG less than a suspension lift, as they only lift the body, and the heavier parts don't move up.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that is why i hate body lifts

Old 04-14-2012, 05:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I'm not really a fan either... give it a suspension lift, and then some wider tires for stability.

Quick Reply: mind blown, 2wd lift kits?