2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what do our trucks like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What e-fan would equate to RRs, because I'd like to know.

Let's say an e-fan setup is $150 as that is one you hack together, like ford fan from JY, get the controller for cheap, so now its $200 for a cam? What cam would that get you?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:40 AM
GTXpress
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just throwing things out there. roller rockers on a stock engine wont give you gains to write home about. the OP was asking for suggestions for the most power, I dont know why he doesnt want to do a cam. But for 350 dollars, a roller rocker set that, the numbers are on a V6, but it gives you like 8lb-ft of torque over stock. You cant even feel that at the pedal, and if you can its all in your head. The numbers from that table are from a dyno test on an engine on a stand, that still has to go through the trans, driveline, rear end, to the ground. By that time its gone, unnoticable. 350 for an unnoticable gain isnt worth it to me.

But like I said if you have your engine really cranking out some RPMs, then rollers would be worth it.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTXpress
There are plenty of other things to do to the engine for 350 that will make way bigger gains then roller rockers. You could probably get the same gain by going to an electric fan, and still have money for a cam.

What are you adjusting on your rockers?

Point me to a cam (not a regrind), lifters, valve springs, keepers, retainers, gaskets, a non jy elec fan. For $350

If you don't know what the advantages are to using adjustable rockers do some research.

I am done here.

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-05-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 AM
GTXpress
Professional

Its your money not mine. Pay 350 for 8lb-ft of torque.

And why when you upgrade the cam do you have to buy everything else in the valve train? Just because you upgrade the cam means nothing else thats already there will work?

If you are doing roller rockers, then you ought to do roller lifters while your at it.

I am sorry I said anything.

Last edited by GTXpress; 02-05-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 AM
GTXpress
Professional

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Point me to a cam (not a regrind), lifters, valve springs, keepers, retainers, gaskets, a non jy elec fan. For $350

If you don't know what the advantages are to using adjustable rockers do some research.

I am done here.

So running these and hydraulic lifters, you just adjust it when you install them and youre done. Or is there some other adjustment I am missing?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Our engines already have roller lifters. All magnum engines do.

The valve springs on the stock heads are limited to .480" lift. Going to a meaner cam means you also need better seat pressures than the stockers offer. New springs mean new retainers, keepers. Using a cam and NOT putting matched valve springs on is just asking for trouble..... coil bind, or valve float are just two issues that may crop up.

No single mod is going to net you a great deal of power. (aside from forced induction anyway.....) It is looking at the system as a whole that is the key. Figger out where you want your power, and then select parts accordingly, that will actually work together, and you will be happy with it. Randomly throwing parts at it is a recipe for disappointment.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The OP was looking for bolt ons that would net them appreciable bumps. RRs are an appreciable bump/bolt on. I saw at 3400 rpm the tq bump was 10 ft-lbs. Splittin' hairs I know...but its a decent bump. Alot of ppl around here have done this bump b/c they don't want to change the cam.

GTX -- I think your post #6 was right on the spot as a response to the OP and anybody checking this out for that matter. It is a bit tough to actually pick a cam, but really it comes down to what HeyYou said....where do you want your "umphf"?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont expect any more hp or torque from the expensive tuneup parts like wires cap rotor or plugs... they may offer better resistance to electrical noise interference or even hold up a bit longer but to get any real performance gains you need to go with an HEI system or something that puts out a stronger spark to begin with... stock style coils arent going to do it...its a limitation to the technology which means most of those aftermarket coils are just marketing hype...
Any of these modes are just gonna add a couple horses...Unless bundled together. If any one mod was really worth it and a win win thing it would have come stock... 1.7 rockers are on my list as well as a 52mm throttlebody beacause I already have a better flowing exhaust system to benefit from more air... the key is you have to do mods that complement each other and work together to accomplish the task of pushing more air and fuel through... by themselves they wont do much.... kind of like expensive spark plug wires coupled cheap coil and plugs... they just arent going to be utilized that way...and most have trade offs..(like poor gas mileage or low end power loss or no performance increase besides flashy colors)
Or course most of you guys already know this stuff... I'm just mentioning it for those reading this who don't. There's a reason most aftermarket performance parts dont include DYNO results to back up claims... they wouldn't sell nearly as well...Ignorance is bliss over false perceptions and some use the stuff just for bragging rights...
Electric fan setup is actually a cheap way to make good usable power when needed... depending on use though they arent always Ideal.... I've had my vette overheat bad when the damn fan switch failed...there not quite as rugged and reliable I think...especially when offroading and lots or splashing water might come into play.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No single mod is going to net you a great deal of power. (aside from forced induction anyway.....) It is looking at the system as a whole that is the key. Figger out where you want your power, and then select parts accordingly, that will actually work together, and you will be happy with it. Randomly throwing parts at it is a recipe for disappointment.
That and Fuzzy Dice.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The dice add plenty of power, but I will say , the HS 1.7's added a little more.

Name:  DSCF0698.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  92.8 KB

Quick Reply: what do our trucks like?