2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

This springs truck build (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, The 70 is practially done, just need the new carrier, ring/pinion. Decided to regear to 5.56, the rear is getting powerloc posi.

The 60, its getting welded gears aswell as 4.56s (which should be here tuesday, as long as fedex doesn't go on strike).

Both are at the stages of pinion install, and yes I have plenty of crush sleeves.

Went ahead and mounted up the 37's and stuck them on the axles for SnGs, the look sick.

Name:  axleswithwheelas_zps11035d76.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  437.1 KB

Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, just curious why you are using a ZF5 instead of a NV3500/4500? Just curious... ZF5 is a great tranny too. Remember to hook up the internal oil pump cooling lines or else you will burn the tranny up if you use a ZF5. (if you use a ZF5, all of them came with a internal oil pump with lines to run to a radiator. Keeps em nice and cool).

Old 03-31-2013, 02:40 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
Hey, just curious why you are using a ZF5 instead of a NV3500/4500? Just curious... ZF5 is a great tranny too. Remember to hook up the internal oil pump cooling lines or else you will burn the tranny up if you use a ZF5. (if you use a ZF5, all of them came with a internal oil pump with lines to run to a radiator. Keeps em nice and cool).
Availability mainly, obs/nbs fords in central Florida are dime a dozen. I've never seen a 4x4 5 speed 2500 in a junk yard, and if I have, its been stripped of drive train. And I hear they're stronger

Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Didn't see this thread last spring. Looking forward to seeing the swap move forward. I also looked as the isuzu's, but decided on a 4bt mostly due to the brand identity with dodge and cummins...

Jake

Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

It's been sitting in the shop collecting dust. Been real busy with work and such, finally getting time to at least get the axles built and swapped. The motor swaps buy list is, trans, tcase, adapter, pedal assembly, clutch n flywheel. I'm pretty sure there's afew hundreds of dollars of parts i'm forgetting but that's off the top of my head. Also, the reason I went with a 4bd1t rather then a 4bt was I got the 4bd1t for $150 and its quieter + more power than a 4bt

Last edited by rumble_truck; 03-31-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Moochoff
Veteran

Not to mention shorter in heighth.

But I had also heard 4bd1t runs out smoother and doesn't fall on its face as hard but I think they are extremely similar after the 4bt gets a new governing spring...

Good luck with the swap.

Jake

Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

I would not suggest that you weld the spiders on the front axle. With no hubs on that axle your going to have a heck of a time turning. Plus in 4WD you'll have to blip the throttle to get it to turn. Put a Lock Right locker or Aussie locker in there instead.

I won't swear to this but since my Jeep has the same dash as your truck you have to go thru the PCM to get the gauges to work. Now the water temp and oil pressure are pretty easy. Just pull your stock senders from your 5.2 and adapt them to the 4bt.
For the tach I'm not sure, maybe contact some of the companies that make custom harnesses like Hotwire. Everything else sounds super.

Forgot a few things,
Your tires are Goodyear Wranglers and you're running them on none radial rims. When the military switched to the Goodyear Wrangler tires they also switched to 12 bolt rims instead of the 8 bolt rims you have.
Now the Army put out many safety messages about not running radial tires on the 8 bolt rims. I can't say they won't be ok with work I'm just letting you know what was put out. Now the TSL SX tires you had in the bed of your truck would be fine on the 8 bolt rims. Same tire I am running. You also know that the Hummv rims are a 7.5" back spacing right?

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 04-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
I would not suggest that you weld the spiders on the front axle. With no hubs on that axle your going to have a heck of a time turning. Plus in 4WD you'll have to blip the throttle to get it to turn. Put a Lock Right locker or Aussie locker in there instead.

I won't swear to this but since my Jeep has the same dash as your truck you have to go thru the PCM to get the gauges to work. Now the water temp and oil pressure are pretty easy. Just pull your stock senders from your 5.2 and adapt them to the 4bt.
For the tach I'm not sure, maybe contact some of the companies that make custom harnesses like Hotwire. Everything else sounds super.

Forgot a few things,
Your tires are Goodyear Wranglers and you're running them on none radial rims. When the military switched to the Goodyear Wrangler tires they also switched to 12 bolt rims instead of the 8 bolt rims you have.
Now the Army put out many safety messages about not running radial tires on the 8 bolt rims. I can't say they won't be ok with work I'm just letting you know what was put out. Now the TSL SX tires you had in the bed of your truck would be fine on the 8 bolt rims. Same tire I am running. You also know that the Hummv rims are a 7.5" back spacing right?
Recentered rims to I believe 5". I havn't really ever heard of not using the 37s with the 8bolts, ill looks into it but worst comes to worst ill be getting 12 bolts.

As for welding the spiders, i've read many posts where if you have a CAD, you can spool it and not notice until it's in 4x4. Buddy of mine did it to his 1500 d44 and said the same thing.

And depending on how much I wanna put into the truck, it may get a full aftermarket gauge cluster. Good input though, keeps me busy doing research at work

Old 07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey....updates!?!?!?!?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:06 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Hey....updates!?!?!?!?
A bit late on this, scrapped the 4bd1t idea unfortunately, the 318 blew up in probably one of the worst possible times. Dumped a 360 in it, had the 46re built. D70 installed, d60 installed but pinion and carrier are not set, both have 4.56s. Really disappointed the build didn't go all the way through

Quick Reply: This springs truck build (pics included)