2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to change out coil springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 PM
Tony G
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
They could be over tightened or loose. But if you didn't touch them then I do not suspect them.
I think they were touched a long time ago for stepping bars. Could it be that the control arms are to tight I did them by hand didn't have a torque wrench at the time. now I do I saw that they a supposed to be 120 ft lbs I think mine are over that. What would the torque spec be for the body mounts. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony G
I think they were touched a long time ago for stepping bars. Could it be that the control arms are to tight I did them by hand didn't have a torque wrench at the time. now I do I saw that they a supposed to be 120 ft lbs I think mine are over that. What would the torque spec be for the body mounts. Thanks.
That could cause the rubber bushing to squeak. I don't know about a hydraulic pitch sound though. I don't know the torque on the body mounts, and depending on the condition of where you live they could break. So I wouldn't touch them just yet

Old 04-01-2020, 08:43 PM
Tony G
Amateur

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That could cause the rubber bushing to squeak. I don't know about a hydraulic pitch sound though. I don't know the torque on the body mounts, and depending on the condition of where you live they could break. So I wouldn't touch them just yet
its just like a chirp noise only once when going over bumps it's not like a repeated noise if it's more than one bump it makes only one chirp per bump. I live in Illinois but the truck is not rusted very badly there is hardly any in the front really only a little rust on the frame in the middle of the truck but I will take care of that soon. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Tony G
Amateur

Also I am going to replace the coils anyway because they are also rusty and probably a little worn out over all the years. But it is a very nice truck and I plan on keeping it for a long time to come.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Also I am going to replace the coils anyway because they are also rusty and probably a little worn out over all the years. But it is a very nice truck and I plan on keeping it for a long time to come.
A chrip that's interesting because I have the same thing on my truck. Swaping out the coils isn't a bad idea but it isn't good. It's neutral, meaning they usually don't wear out unless you see the truck sagging but it is your money. I would recommend leveling coil springs if you want it level. All the bolts in the fenders?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:25 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

When you torqued the control arms, was the weight of the truck on front axle (tires on the ground or the axle on the jack stands), or was it hanging loose? If later, that might cause noise and definitely premature wear of the bushings. Always tighten suspension components (which have rubber bushings) under weight. Bushings have metal inserts, so even if you go over the torque spec, you can't torque bolts by hand so much that it would habe affect on the bushing itself.
Same with body bushings, IIRC there is metal against metal so the bushing gets pressed only so far.

All new front suspension parts? Sway bar bushings and connecting links too? You can chase to the squeak by lubricating possible sources one by one.
Being a new part does not mean it would not have manufacturing error, or the material defect.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Tony G
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
When you torqued the control arms, was the weight of the truck on front axle (tires on the ground or the axle on the jack stands), or was it hanging loose? If later, that might cause noise and definitely premature wear of the bushings. Always tighten suspension components (which have rubber bushings) under weight. Bushings have metal inserts, so even if you go over the torque spec, you can't torque bolts by hand so much that it would habe affect on the bushing itself.
Same with body bushings, IIRC there is metal against metal so the bushing gets pressed only so far.

All new front suspension parts? Sway bar bushings and connecting links too? You can chase to the squeak by lubricating possible sources one by one.
Being a new part does not mean it would not have manufacturing error, or the material defect.
I tighten the control arms a little by hand then droped the truck down and then tighten them a little more. I have sprayed everything one by one and it is still there. And yest the sway bar bushings and end links are new.thanks.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:54 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I tighten the control arms a little by hand then droped the truck down and then tighten them a little more. I have sprayed everything one by one and it is still there. And yest the sway bar bushings and end links are new.thanks.
Only other thing I can think of is motor mounts but they shouldn't be affected by bumps.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Are the various bushings rubber, or poly? If they are poly, squeaks are just part of the territory.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Tony G
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are the various bushings rubber, or poly? If they are poly, squeaks are just part of the territory.
hi, they are all rubber. Also it doesn't happen very much at low speeds 25 and over it starts more.

Quick Reply: how to change out coil springs?