2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New radio/speaker install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM
99ram15005.9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New radio/speaker install question

Hey guys i just bought an alpine cde 121 headunit and 6x9 kickers and 5.25 kickers. i want to bypass my factory infinity amps. I need to buy a wireing harness to install the new headunit, but they sell 2 different ones. i am planning on running new 12gauge speaker wire to each of the new speakers and wire them to the headunit. so my question is since im rewireing everything what wire harness do i buy the one tht plugs into my stock infinity harness or do i buy the one tht is for trucks without the stock infinity system. i do not want to cut the stock wireing thts in the truck, thts why i want to buy the aftermarket adapter wire harness but i dont know which one. oh and by the way the speakers will be running off the headunit bc i will be adding subs and there is only one set of preouts on my new radio.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the infinity wiring, but when I added an aftermarket stereo in mine, the wiring kit had a plug that connected to factory connector and a plug that plugged into the stereo. No cutting required.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Buy the one for the infinity harness, so you will be sure that it fits. I think all it is, is just a couple connectors with some wire in between, to get the head unit to plug into the factory harness? If that's the case, cut the wires in the adapter harness that feed power to the infinity amps, run your new speaker wires, and on the head unit end, cut the appropriate speaker feeds. You don't want wires just hangin' loose that are powered.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
sniper dave
Professional

You still need the factory harness. If you are bypassing the stock speakers, just splice the new speaker wire to the truck side harness. Your new head unit will have the wiring diagram for which color/position goes to which speaker.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Ok according to 96 service manual there are 2 connectors on the the back of the factory radio.
One is black the other is grey.
The black one is wireing for the all speakers except the negitive side of front left and right, and also the power to the relay for the factory amps.
The grey one is the one you use to power the radio:

CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 - -
2 X55 20BR/RD LEFT FRONT DOOR SPEAKER (-)

3 X56 20DB/RD RIGHT FRONT DOOR SPEAKER (-)

4 L7 20BK/YL PARK LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT
5 E2 220R FUSED PANEL LAMPS DIMMER SWITCH SIGNAL

6 X12 18RD/WT FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (ACC/RUN)
7 Ml 20PK FUSED B(+)

Just dont wire anything from your new radio into cavities 1, 2 or 3 of the grey connector.

Then run new wires for your speakers.

Edit: Be advised Just looked at 2001 wiring is little different not sure when it changed.

Dave

Last edited by xjarhead69; 02-12-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...this is a blast from the past as I did this so long ago. It was a bit of a PITA, but I believe I did get the harness that is for the Infinity. Main reason is b/c it's setup for all the right power leads.

The amps of the infinity system, also includes the crossovers, for the front door and a-pillar tweeter. It's really a sucky system. I kept the tweeter in a-pillar as it's just a PITA to deal with. I replaced the door speakers, but kept the amp/xover as it feeds the a-pillar tweeter. I believe that is what happened. In the door was then put new rockford fosgate 6" or something. Original speaker wire was able to be used, or you can just splice in new wire.

Also replaced my suicide door speakers, also used the existing wire.

Installed measly amp under driver side that went to Pre-amp outputs on the headunit to run a 8" sub under bench. This was done back in 2006, so sorry I couldn't be more clear about this, but maybe helps out with your setup as it seems similar.

Hopefully you report back your results.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:50 PM
lilbluetruck

Hey Guys, pulled infinity unit installed sony, still stock wiring,

now doing speakers 4 wires going into stock speakers 2 wires going into replacements ??? can I experiment without hurting new speakers

Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

No... one of the wires is 12vdc for the amp on the old speaker.... it will fry the new speaker.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:57 AM
jsmith1969
Professional

This might help ya- http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/...4642/related/1

edit: there's also a link at bottom of the page for the Ram without Infinity system if thats what you have

Last edited by jsmith1969; 04-05-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Ok according to 96 service manual there are 2 connectors on the the back of the factory radio.
One is black the other is grey.
True but i don't think they had the amps under the seat until later years so the wiring may be different. if you are running new wires to each speaker all you need to worry about it power to the head unit. If you are going to use the oem wiring you need to bypass the amp and connect the wires together going to each speaker. I would get a wiring diagram for your truck so you know you are wiring it correctly. Do it wrong and you can fry your new head unit.

Quick Reply: New radio/speaker install question