2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilding a 46RE - What to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 AM
95Erokram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I've not seen the inside of it, but their billet converter looks hell for strong from the outside. I almost hated installing it, it looked so purty. I'm about 10,000 miles or so into my "level 3" Mega Viper, and I still grin every darn time it upshifts. Who knew one of these things could actually shift quickly and firmly into overdrive?
Hey unreg, you know the irony is that you reccomended me to them and said you get a grin everytime. you know. that grin is contagious. when i upshift at 55-60 and it still knocks you in the seat of the pants. it is a great feeling. there kit is awesome. i dunno if its a level two or three but he said (my mechanic) it could take up to 500 rwhp gas. he put a hard flippin shift kit, of course I asked for the hardest lol. just wanted to say thanks for the tip and yeah these things are bulletproof up to the stockers. And to the OP. seriously look into PATC. these guys know transmissions and durability in the same sentence.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Erokram
Hey unreg, you know the irony is that you reccomended me to them and said you get a grin everytime. you know. that grin is contagious. when i upshift at 55-60 and it still knocks you in the seat of the pants. it is a great feeling.
Pretty cool, ain't it? That shift behavior is all in the kit, and a stock rebuild with the same shift kit added would behave about the same way. It wouldn't last anywhere near as long as the PATC, but it'd shift crisply until the next failure.

Originally Posted by 95Erokram
just wanted to say thanks for the tip
You're welcome. It's nice knowing that you don't have to worry about the transmission any more, isn't it?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM
krichards6405
Professional

the shifting on my ram sucks, in second gear at low speeds it seems to be searching for something, should i rebuild with the kits yall are talking about?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
never0101

Quick update and question about this rebuild:

I got everything taken apart, the snap ring piece was from the overdrive unit, there were 2 snap rings broken but still holding and all the clutches in the overdrive looked fine so thats good. needs a low/reverse band , going to replace the front band as well. the low reverse servo is broken also. otherwise, all the clutches and steels look awesome, as well as everything else, just going to put a seal kit in and reassemble, was quite straight forward.

My main question is : where can i get a new valve and spring for the TCC Boost valve? the clip broke, the spring i found in the pan when i dropped it a few months back, but i can no longer find it. The valve i couldnt find anywhere; it seems to only come WITH a valve body? I found a fix for the broken clip in a whole new heavy duty cover, but I don't see the valve or spring available. Any hints on finding one? I heard a rumor today theres a 46re trans at work the parts manager swapped out of his kids truck, so worst case scenario i might be able to cannibalize the valve from that so long as its the correct transmission and doesnt also have the same issue..

Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to www.wittrans.com They have all the parts.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by never0101
Quick update and question about this rebuild:

I got everything taken apart, the snap ring piece was from the overdrive unit, there were 2 snap rings broken but still holding and all the clutches in the overdrive looked fine so thats good. needs a low/reverse band , going to replace the front band as well. the low reverse servo is broken also. otherwise, all the clutches and steels look awesome, as well as everything else, just going to put a seal kit in and reassemble, was quite straight forward.

My main question is : where can i get a new valve and spring for the TCC Boost valve? the clip broke, the spring i found in the pan when i dropped it a few months back, but i can no longer find it. The valve i couldnt find anywhere; it seems to only come WITH a valve body? I found a fix for the broken clip in a whole new heavy duty cover, but I don't see the valve or spring available. Any hints on finding one? I heard a rumor today theres a 46re trans at work the parts manager swapped out of his kids truck, so worst case scenario i might be able to cannibalize the valve from that so long as its the correct transmission and doesnt also have the same issue..
Dont forget the heavy duty borg warner governor pressure soleniod (the cause of your code) They flow 15% better than stock and at like 55 bucks shipped from ebay they are half the price of dealer or napa units... they are a common source of problems and shifting issues when they start to plug with shavings...there is an alternative GM conversion kit for that assy on ebay you may be partial to as well

Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
never0101

im probably going with the governor -> GM pc solenoid upgrade; i wish i could buy the adapter plate separate as i could probably get the solenoid itself much cheaper!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Don't do that. GM conversion kit is over 200 bucks. The BW parts are much cheaper, better, and accomplish the same thing.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't do that. GM conversion kit is over 200 bucks. The BW parts are much cheaper, better, and accomplish the same thing.
I agree...the gm conversion predates the Borg warner upgrade... they really shouldnt be plugging before you should be replacing the filter and cleaning the screen on them during regular maintenance... mine plugged twice and it was because the tranny was on its way out and needed to be rebuilt...I got 10,000 miles out of the last one before the converter failed and it was rebuilt..

Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
95Erokram
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Pretty cool, ain't it? That shift behavior is all in the kit, and a stock rebuild with the same shift kit added would behave about the same way. It wouldn't last anywhere near as long as the PATC, but it'd shift crisply until the next failure.

You're welcome. It's nice knowing that you don't have to worry about the transmission any more, isn't it?
Yes my freind yes it is as it wasent the cheapest option out there lol.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 46RE - What to look out for?