2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 BIG Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:06 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is oil inside the intake, your plenum is blown. This creates multiple problems including clogging cat, misfires, and generally porr running. It can also lead toa cracked head. The plenum is the space where the air flows fron TB into combustion chamber, and the plate at the borrom closes that off. The seal works its way loose and allow back flow of air from crankcase into intake, bringing oil with it. Gotta get that fixed!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM
slapshift318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F**k, Where do i buy one? and how do i go about changing it? any special gaskets?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 PM
gdstock
Legend

Felpro intake gasket set from local parts house. I used the kit I bought on e-bay for about $50 instead of $80+ from Hughes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-A...item3cc2821fe0

Also install double roller timing set and water pump.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 PM
slapshift318
Rookie

Alright, Can i not pickup the new plenum from my local store? and why a double roller timing set & water pump? i got a new water pump on it when i changed the radiator.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 PM
gdstock
Legend

Plate is not a normal part for a local parts store. And buying it from dealer doesn't fix the design flaw. If you changed water pump, then you are good. I must have missed that in your post. Souble roller chain set lasts longer than a morse chain. Timing chains stretch over time and allow the timing to be off a little bit and as it continues to stretch, it get off more. Double roller chain lasts longer than morse. It will allow your engine to run closer to spec, and is just good preventative maintenance to do.

You can get a plenum gasket locally (fel pro) and reuse the origninal pan, but you may have to do again at some point. If you go this route, cut the pan bolts off slightly as it appears they are too long and the plate does not adequately clamp the plate to hold the gasket. Clean out bolt holes very well before reinstalling, and I used lock-tite when I put mine back together.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 AM
slapshift318
Rookie

Alright, i'll take the safe route and just buy a new plate. You all have been more then helpful, and i apriciate all of the help!

And i'm going to ask my father about the timing chain, because i belelive he replaced it before when he was trying to make it go fast. (he's an old mopar nut) so he may have already did the double timing chain, but it looks like my next few paychecks are going to be gone! but, i want my truck to run perfect. lol, after changing the distributor cap/plugs/rotor it runs alittle better. but i see that the plenum plate is a serious issue, so that will be my next thing to do. And while im at it i guess the oil pump.

And fast question, i had a guy replace my alternator awhile ago, and now my gas gauge runs backward, when its past empty, i have gas, closer it goes up to the Red line, less gas i have, anyone know why?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
If there is oil inside the intake, your plenum is blown. This creates multiple problems including clogging cat, misfires, and generally porr running. It can also lead toa cracked head. The plenum is the space where the air flows fron TB into combustion chamber, and the plate at the borrom closes that off. The seal works its way loose and allow back flow of air from crankcase into intake, bringing oil with it. Gotta get that fixed!
not really... there has been many cases where people replaced the plate and still have oil in the intake this can be from blowby from a worn out engine or the pvc valve which is common...pvc valve are supposed to be replaced every 24,000 miles...

I bet if we did a poll and actually got people to check thier plenums right now 3 quarters of them would have oil in them... how much and how many miles and condition of the pvc is key, as well as plenum.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-25-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
not really... there has been many cases where people replaced the plate and still have oil in the intake this can be from blowby from a worn out engine or the pvc valve which is common...pvc valve are supposed to be replaced every 24,000 miles...

I bet if we did a poll and actually got people to check thier plenums right now 3 quarters of them would have oil in them... how much and how many miles and condition of the pvc is key, as well as plenum.
How many of them would have oil POOLING in them though? Some 'spray' from the PCV system is indeed normal, but, a pool of oil is not....

Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM
slapshift318
Rookie

How much do PCV Valves ussually cost? and where are they on the engine?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

There's only one, on yours, its in the passenger side valve cover, and they are like 8 bucks from the dealer.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 BIG Problems!