2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel injector replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
ekaplan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector replacement

Read through this a couple times.

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/InjectorReplace/index.html

This is my first time. I bought two stock replacements, new not remanned. Only replacing 5 and 7 So no need for passenger side. Does that page cover it all? Anyone have any pointers from experience? Do's and dont's? Thanks

Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

If you are only replacing five and seven.... just pull the four bolts that hold the rail in place, and then pry those two up out of the manifold, pull the clips that hold them in the rail, and the injectors will tug right out. Put some flavor of lube on the orings of the new ones, stick 'em in there, and bolt everything back down. Real easy.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is pretty much all ther is to it. Just be careful when you pull them out as part of it is plastic and may break..Use new o-rings to seal. Fel Pro makes them.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM
ekaplan
Professional

Thanks guys. I didnt plan on removing too much. Maybe unplugging a few wires if needed. Tryin to do it tonight but haven't got off the couch yet. Too much to read on here lol

Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to remove the fuel rail. And probably some lines for the throttle and cruise control.

Gas will get everywhere so make sure you have towels. Then let it air dry for about a few hours. Don't want to start a fire in your engine compartment by starting her up after you get the install done. Believe me, it can happen.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 AM
ekaplan
Professional

So I'm over the motor now. I just tried to vent the fuel rail with the nipple or whatever its called and noticed I really had no pressure behind it. There was a little fuel smell and barely any cam out. Is that a bad sign? I have a fuel pressure gauge but don't want the ol lady down here if i fired it up right now lol. I'm thinkin I should test my pressure before pulling objectors. It was just my last resort for those two cylinders misfiring. Everything has been checked. Fuel pressure was checked when this motor was put in. They said it was good. What should the bleed off rate be when i test it? Should the pressure be that low? It's been sitting for three or four hours but i assumed it would still have decent pressure at the rail.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM
ekaplan
Professional

On my phone so excuse the typos

Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 AM
ekaplan
Professional

And my symptoms, again-sorry for another thread but this was specifically for the fuel, are normal at cold start, then if I turn it off for any period of time under prob an hour or forty five minutes and start it I get a mis on five and seven and rough idle for about a minute then clears. Gas mileage is down to 6 now. But it only isles funky with those conditions.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. Are you getting any codes aside from the misfires?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 AM
ekaplan
Professional

No codes. Guy who hooked it up said it clears too quickly. I hope its not a computer problem

Quick Reply: fuel injector replacement