2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram missing engine, water from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM
angelhonka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the filter is is included with the pump assembly , so I know that its not anything with the pump cuz its all new ...I checked the fuel pressure with the truk running and it read a consistant 50 psi , so being that my problem started RIGHT after I filled up with gas , all I have left to check is the injectors .... everything cheks out right up to the fuel rail

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,255 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Pull the rail, clean it out, inspect your injectors. They should have screens on top, so any crap in them should be caught there. (I think you have already had them out once, haven't you??)

Might wanna check again for vacuum leaks too....

Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
angelhonka

how do I get the rail out its connected to the flex line is there a tool i can buy to get it off , also the injectors didnt have any kind of screen on top just a hole about 1/8 wide and about 3/8 deep but ther was no screen on any of them ... vacuum leaks? ive sprayed carb cleaner around the intake but didnt seem to make the engine bog down ,

Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by angelhonka
how do I get the rail out its connected to the flex line is there a tool i can buy to get it off , also the injectors didnt have any kind of screen on top just a hole about 1/8 wide and about 3/8 deep but ther was no screen on any of them ... vacuum leaks? ive sprayed carb cleaner around the intake but didnt seem to make the engine bog down ,
the screen is built in but its in the top. I am in the same boat as you. mine started after a transmission rebuild. I'm hoping the new cps I bought will fix it since they often get wacked during the tranny pull or install. I just have a misfire on cylinder one and only under load. I have verified that cylinder is lean. Have you tested compression or done a leakdown test yet? You may have a bad head gasket. They can leak without getting coolant into the oil and also just leak between cylinders. Harbor freight just had the leakdown kits on sale for $24... I bought one as well as tested compression to rule out a cracked head or bad rings. I still worry I may have a bad lifter or cam lobe though.
Fuel sync is adjusted by turning the distributor. You need equipment to see the effects to know where to adjust it to however.
I replaced my injectors with rebuilt bosch upgrade ones from ebay (bosch 703 injectors are the best upgrade for stock engine injector wise) it didnt fix anything. now the trucks running rich until I get some miles on it for the pcm to relearn. But that has to wait till I finish replacing the headers (found a cracked one)

If it makes you feel better I had the exact same issues that you had happen when I used my fathers truck for a hunting trip and after I got gas I got a miss and misfire codes... it was a bad injector in that case. but it was a 2005 ford too...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 02-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
angelhonka

thanks for the info , Im gonna try a compression test and a leakdown test to see what that tells me and then go from there ... I was going to buy the injectors last nite but thought there might b some thing else I could try b4 I bit the bullet for those ....

Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 PM
angelhonka

well I just did a compression test and #2 cyl. has no pressure at all ... #6 had 70 and the rest were at 100 psi ...I took out all the plugs and turned the engine while did the test and the cyl with press obviosly slowed the engine as it cranked except the 2 cyl it just kept spinng the engine with no stall on the compression stroke ....So do I junk the trk or what it has 150000 miles ....what kind of repair am I looking at and whays the ball park figure on geytting it fixed ?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,255 Likes on 3,003 Posts

How much did you pay for it? Do you owe anything on it yet? How is the trans?

For under 2 grand, you could put a new motor in it, and solve ALL of those problems. Basically, your motor needs a complete rebuild...... for the prices of have seen for some drop-ins...... you couldn't do a rebuild for less.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It could be as simple as a head gasket, but no way to tell until you take it apart. By the looks of things you have nothing to lose by taking it apart at this time and looking at the head gasket.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
angelhonka

well my father bought it brand new with 16 miles on it so it def made its money for being 16 yrs old Im gonna look inside the valve cover and see if theres any telltale signs but it prlly needs a complete rebuild.the trans runs great along with everything else on the truk so if I can find someone to either rebuild or maybe drop a new one in.... ill def b looking around to see what I can do to keep this thing runnin

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
angelhonka

btw I just put new yokohama tires on it AND registered it last month ......

Quick Reply: 96 Ram missing engine, water from exhaust