2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 5.9 shuts off, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Maybe. Gotta listen close though.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
sbulla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

OK, I changed the crank position sensor, the cam position sensor and, for good measure, went ahead and put in new plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, and coil. Put about 60 miles on it with no problem.

Today, coming into work, it shut off again. Same deal. It shuts off, won't start up until about a minute/minute and a half later and then runs fine.

What's next....replace PCM? I found places where I can get refurbished ones for about $350 with warrenty.

Guess I'll just keep throwing money at it since it's not giving me any codes or hints as to what's causing this.

Sonny

Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

See if you can figger out what's missing when it won't start, spark, or fuel. When it won't start, do you hear the fuel pump prime when you try and crank it up? CEL come on?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 PM
sbulla

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See if you can figger out what's missing when it won't start, spark, or fuel. When it won't start, do you hear the fuel pump prime when you try and crank it up? CEL come on?
No CEL but, when it does start back up, I hear a couple of chimes (dings) behind the dash just when it starts running again like...it's trying to tell me something. ;-)

Sonny

Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I was more asking if the CEL comes on while you are trying to start it, when it doesn't want to start.... If that makes any sense. Just trying to see if the PCM is having an issue, or, if it is losing power somewhere.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM
sbulla

I was more asking if the CEL comes on while you are trying to start it, when it doesn't want to start.... If that makes any sense. Just trying to see if the PCM is having an issue, or, if it is losing power somewhere.
I don't think it does.

Got any suggestions as to a test I could do within the minute that it won't start keeping in mind that I'll be alone and probably along side the road or in traffic?

Is there some kind of remote spark test device?

Sonny

Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the nature of the problem DOES make it hard to diagnose.... by the time you get everything in place, it will probably fire right up.

If you aren't getting a CEL when you try to start it though, that indicates a problem with the PCM though..... either the PCM itself, or a power/ground issue. Check all the connectors at the PCM, and see what they look like, also, check the grounds.... If you don't already have one, grab a service manual for your truck from the faq section. Look at the connector pinouts to see which are power feeds, and which are grounds, and make sure they are ALL clean and tight......

Another test you can try, is tap on the PCM when the truck quits, and then see if it will restart.....

You can get a spark checker, and a noid light (for testing for injector pulse) at your local parts store. But, I don't know if you will have time to do the diag if you are alone.....

Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 PM
sbulla

Yeah, the nature of the problem DOES make it hard to diagnose.... by the time you get everything in place, it will probably fire right up.

If you aren't getting a CEL when you try to start it though, that indicates a problem with the PCM though..... either the PCM itself, or a power/ground issue. Check all the connectors at the PCM, and see what they look like, also, check the grounds..
I'm amost convinced it is the PCM (ECM?) as the time 'till refire is so consisitant everytime. It's like it just takes a "time out".

I will go through the wiring with a fine tooth comb when I have a chance and I do have a factory manual.

Thanks for all your help, by the way! The guys at the Dodge dealer weren't much help.

Sonny

Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Of course they weren't. They don't want to help you fix it, they want to CHARGE you to fix it.

Maybe the PCM thinks its bad, and feels a need to 'stand in the corner' for a bit?

ECM vs. PCM: Originally, it WAS just an ECM. (engine control module) Then, the trannies went electronic as well, and it became PCM. (Powertrain control module.) dodge went overboard, the the crazy thing controls, or, has its electronic fingers in damn near everything on the truck.... except the radio.....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM
sk187
Professional

Have you changed the battery? If you haven't its probably the battery, even if it seems good.

You can read my thread about the same thing here

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...any-ideas.html

I basically paid to have the cam/crank sensors changed and was on my way for a PCM and then changed the battery with a new one, all was fine.

Quick Reply: 2000 5.9 shuts off, no codes