2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:47 AM
turbojimbo
|
Default help truck wont start

hello all,im lookin for help got a 99 2500 with the 5.9 v8 was going down the road went to pass some one and couldnt do more than 25 mph, got it home shut it off now it wont start, so relpaced fuel pump, ect, crank, cam sensor, iac, map, cap and rotor, and spark plugs, used computer off a running turck, new timing chain and gears, new coil and still wont start, i have fuel pressure, compression and spark, all it will do is crank, every once and awhile when you put your foot to the floor and crank it will try to start, i have compresion anywhere from 100 to 120, blue spark, 50 psi of fuel pressure and it will hold it over night, it just wont run
any help is great

Old 03-15-2012 | 08:41 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional

Did you verify that you have 5 volts at your sensors. test at the TPS. if lower than 5 start unpluging sensors one by one until the 5 volts comes back. that sensor is the one to replace. Also double check the tps by metering at a different sensor for it.

If it isn't in the sensors on the motor.....say removing them all and still no 5 volts, try unpluging the transmission, chances are you have a burned solenoid that uses the same 5 volts. Retest.

There's alot of angles with this senario,since you changed so much, that can compound issues,but hopefully this will help narrow down a possibility.

Old 03-15-2012 | 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Remove the front O2 sensor from the exhaust, and see if it will start......

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:00 PM
gdstock
Legend

Just wondering....when you changed dist cap and cam sensor, did you rotate the distributor?

And did you turn crank or cam when you installed new tming set?

Compare the new crank sensor with the old one. Make sure they are the same length.

Old 03-15-2012 | 11:40 PM
turbojimbo
|

[quote=neilsrpcustoms;2742190]Did you verify that you have 5 volts at your sensors. test at the TPS. if lower than 5 start unpluging sensors one by one until the 5 volts comes back. that sensor is the one to replace. Also double check the tps by metering at a different sensor for it.

yep there is 5.11 volts at all the sensors
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Remove the front O2 sensor from the exhaust, and see if it will start......
which 02 sensor bank 1 or 2
Originally Posted by gdstock
Just wondering....when you changed dist cap and cam sensor, did you rotate the distributor?

And did you turn crank or cam when you installed new tming set?

Compare the new crank sensor with the old one. Make sure they are the same length.
yes i did rotate the distrbutor but i did but it back, and yes but i did put it back on tdc on compression, and after i but the gears on rolled it over and the timing marks came back together each time, and the crank sensors are the same length

Last edited by turbojimbo; 03-15-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2012 | 11:54 PM
gdstock
Legend

If you turn the distributo on these engines, you alter the fuel sync. Needs to be set with a scanner. It does not time by turning dist like other engines.

Old 03-16-2012 | 09:00 AM
PapaG
Veteran

+1 on what HeyYou suggested. Original problem sounds possibly like a severely clogged cat.

Old 03-16-2012 | 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

[quote=turbojimbo;2742860]
Originally Posted by neilsrpcustoms
Did you verify that you have 5 volts at your sensors. test at the TPS. if lower than 5 start unpluging sensors one by one until the 5 volts comes back. that sensor is the one to replace. Also double check the tps by metering at a different sensor for it.

yep there is 5.11 volts at all the sensors

which 02 sensor bank 1 or 2

yes i did rotate the distrbutor but i did but it back, and yes but i did put it back on tdc on compression, and after i but the gears on rolled it over and the timing marks came back together each time, and the crank sensors are the same length
Do you have california emissions? If not, then there is only one pre-cat O2 sensor.

Old 03-16-2012 | 11:23 PM
turbojimbo
|

okay is there any way to set the distrbutor with out a scanner?

i got under it today and i does only have one pre cat 02 sensor, but i have exhaust coming out the tail pipe would that happen with a clogged cat?

Old 03-16-2012 | 11:30 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by turbojimbo
okay is there any way to set the distrbutor with out a scanner?
Not correctly.

Originally Posted by turbojimbo
i got under it today and i does only have one pre cat 02 sensor, but i have exhaust coming out the tail pipe would that happen with a clogged cat?

Exhaust coming out from where?

Quick Reply: help truck wont start