2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 AM
thelaminator
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam

Is seafoam worth using or a waste of money? If good, what's the proper way to apply? Used it in the gas tank and drove better before. Also what adjustments can be made to improve pickup. It's a 98 dodge 1500 5.2 liter 5" suspention lift, and LT315/75/16 Remingtom mud tires which most likely slow up the pickup. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick

Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 AM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/3 in brake booster line (not) brake booster itself while running. 1/3 in oil (change) oil after 300-500 miles and 1/3 in gas. thats the proper way to do it cleans entire engine.. when applying to brake booster line have somone hold rpms up to about 1k or she may stall out due to adding the fluid

Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah It works.... But as you guessed It wont compensate for lack of proper gearing for those tires....
The seafoam will smoke a lot as it removes carbon so beware of people nearby who might complain..

Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

im sorry if any of you guys dont like what im going to tell you i have a masters in engine rebuilding what this stuff does is brake up the carbon deposits on your valves and on top of your piston sounds good right? but really as the carbon falls off. that stuff large peices can get caught in between the valve seats as the motor is running and can get stuck on the valve seat not good! then you have problems . really carbon is good! it increases compression all in all there is no fix in a can but i do like mmo. johnnys beleve it or not!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I did the Seafoam thing a few weeks back. Didn't really smoke much, but I drive hard so didnt expect much carbon build up, lol. I really didn't see that much of a difference either way after doing it. Only did it cause it was on sale and I was bored...

To thelaminator, the 5.2 is a solid engine but not much for power unless you re-gear from the factory 3.55s.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyjaws98
im sorry if any of you guys dont like what im going to tell you i have a masters in engine rebuilding what this stuff does is brake up the carbon deposits on your valves and on top of your piston sounds good right? but really as the carbon falls off. that stuff large peices can get caught in between the valve seats as the motor is running and can get stuck on the valve seat not good! then you have problems . really carbon is good! it increases compression all in all there is no fix in a can but i do like mmo. johnnys beleve it or not!!!
marvels...kerosene and oil of wintergreen are the main ingredients I believe...

Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't know that there was such a thing as a 'masters in engine building'... Huh.. whodathunkit?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 AM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

why dont you know that since your so smart ! did you go to school 4- yrs to learn to rebuild motors like i did do idots get jobs working for nascar or race companys buying a lottery ticket! im just trying to help you guys out on this fourm dont HATE listen and learn

Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

why dont you know that since your so smart ! did you go to school 4- yrs to learn to rebuild motors like i did do idots get jobs working for nascar or race companys buying a lottery ticket! im just trying to help you guys out on this fourm dont HATE listen and learn
Relax man, He was just saying He didnt realize they had masters degrees for engine rebuilding...I didnt either I though it was something one could go to trade school for but didnt realize they did the associates masters, and bachelors degrees in auto mechanics technician fields for things like rebuilding engines... I would have thought it would be through other related fields like mechanical engineering Or automotive engineering..

And FYI many of those expert mechanics in racing throughout history, DID NOT go to college for it but rather picked up their knowledge through YEARS of experience working in thier fathers, uncles or some other garages...(Plus theres a lot of jobs based on who you know) A college education can be a great thing but its no substitute for talent, motivation and intelligence if you have all four then you got it made...
No one is doubting you advice on the subject... the possibility of what you said could happen makes sense to me... however I've used it as well as MMO for years now and have gotten lucky because its done more harm than good for me....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 03-23-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude, I seriously didn't know that..

if you want to know WHY that surprises me, it's not because of the presence of such a thing, nor the likely curriculum of such a course (I'd guess we could all pretty much guess what it consists of in essence, but in actuality there is zero doubt a lot of information is taught it takes self taught and shade tree mechanics YEARS to figure out on their own)- what surprises me is this, and it's a twisted story:

academia reacts to emerging markets.. for instance, there was no such thing as a masters in landscaping, or a masters in construction, or a masters in computer science, UNTIL academia realized they were missing out on that $$$$... they then implement such a thing to stay relevant in those fields, and relevant to emerging markets..

computer science is STILL driven by certifications.. it's slowing now, but several years ago 'languages' were a dime a dozen, and new ones were launched almost weekly- all claiming superiority.. the field evolved and changed so fast, that a person with a degree, in say, cobalt- would find themselves sidelined by a person with a cert in something like PHP, as an example..

landscaping technology? I though it was a joke until I googled curriculum for it.. there is a helluva lot of stuff that goes into that most folks don't realize.. having it TAUGHT to you via textbooks, and hitting the ground (no pun intended) running with it is a tremendous advantage..

engine technology was something I always considered a vocational training thing.. it never occurred to me until I read your post that it would be considered as a academic thing.. but it makes sense.. a dude could get all the formal education to do with engine building that it has taken others decades to gather, and come out of that course a helluva lot more knowledgeable than your average tech who's been five~seven year'ing an apprentice program, and passed his ASE test..

I don't like that the academic types have dug their claws so deeply into every field there is- and continue to make themselves relevant.. but at the same time you gotta appreciate the information collected and shared to run such a course..

I'm not busting your *****, dude... I had simply never heard of a masters for mechanics before.. has I been not mobile when I made that post, I would have elaborated as I have here..

Quick Reply: Seafoam